Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip Roast

Options
I received in email yesterday promoting Tri Tip Roasts. I never see this cut in the Publix that I usually shop at. Does anyone have experience with this cut of beef and cooking suggestions whether grilling or smoking? Thanks for reading.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Yes, they are awesome.  Reverse sear is a great way to cook them - that way you can get a little smoke on them and then a nice sear. MR - Med works best, IMO.

Make sure you look up how the grain runs on a trip tip so you can slice it properly (against the grain).

Or here you go:

NOLA
  • TigerDunes
    TigerDunes Posts: 42
    Options
    Thank you for your reply...what exactly is reverse sear?...one side is smoked, one side is seared?...you prefer this method over smoking on BGE?...thx
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    The reverse sear is basically a low and slow until the meat get just below your desired temperature.  At that point you remove the roast from the egg and wrap it in foil while you allow your egg to go nuclear.  Once your temp is up to 500 or so throw it back on to sear the outside.  Let it rest a few and slice into the deliciousness you have created.  Enjoy
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Give the search function here a go as there are a multitude of threads regarding tri-tips, a forum favorite cut to Q.  Or run it thru google and egghead forum.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Yes, they are awesome.  Reverse sear is a great way to cook them - that way you can get a little smoke on them and then a nice sear. MR - Med works best, IMO.

Make sure you look up how the grain runs on a trip tip so you can slice it properly (against the grain).

Or here you go:

Is this the actual slicing that is pictured or do the slices go perpendicular to these lines
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    buzd504 said:

Or here you go:

Is this the actual slicing that is pictured or do the slices go perpendicular to these lines
    With the lines which is against the grain 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use a Mediterranean marinade, then grill low and slow, with a reverse seer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I've been slow smoking at 180 to 200F until internal temp reaches 120F. 

Then reverse sear until it feels done or internal temp is at 130 to 135.

Rest, carve, eat.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @TigerDunes - just make sure you give any tri-tip a good look before seasoning as the grain pattern can have wide variance from the above, although that is a good representation.  Generally the seam is where the direction will change but I've had 'em with no real direction change across the cut. 
    Always remember the 5th Law of Thermodynamics- "The friggin cow drives the cook!"
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @TigerDunes - just make sure you give any tri-tip a good look before seasoning as the grain pattern can have wide variance from the above, although that is a good representation.  Generally the seam is where the direction will change but I've had 'em with no real direction change across the cut. 
    Always remember the 5th Law of Thermodynamics- "The friggin cow drives the cook!"
    Agree with this.   I cook these often and the grain varies quite a bit.   I usually put a couple scores in mine before seasoning so I know exactly where the grains are and change so after the cook I can easily identify where to slice.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas