Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken - Direct or Indirect Best?

Options

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    +1 on Raised Direct
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    +2 on raised direct 400-425
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Indirect at 400F.  A couple of advantages to this method, more smoke flavor like applewood if desired and allows for a temperature probe in the breast for the cook. 

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    What ever you do take photos
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Archcam
    Archcam Posts: 21
    Options
    Agreed about using raised direct.  I'd add to also smash it* with bricks. 

*Lay the (heated and foil-covered) bricks on top of the breasts.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Archcam said:

What is the purpose or effect of using the bricks?
    Stillwater, MN
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Presses them flat. Can sear them too, if the bricks  (via dome temp) are hot enough. Like pressing a duck breast

we prefer crispy skin, so raised, direct, fairly middling (or even lower) temps, work best for this house. We also dry the skin for at least a few hours, uncovered, in the fridge
  • Archcam
    Archcam Posts: 21
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Archcam said:

What is the purpose or effect of using the bricks?
    Sorry, I should’ve explained that. In addition to what @PigBeanUs said, flattening the breasts with bricks helps to even out the cooking time by making the thickness of the meat more uniform.  That’s important when cooking direct, as the cooking time is usually shorter than when cooking it indirect. (Though it also helps when cooking indirect, as well.)
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I go indirect @ 400F because I do not like the taste of the fat dripping on the coals when doing longer cooks.  The fat dripping in a hot pan and then vaporizing back onto the chicken tastes much better and you get crispy skin at that temp.

Options
    Direct at 350 - 375.  And, for a boost for crispy skin, flip for the last 10 minutes or so. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Cerebellum300
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Looks like my method was closest to DonWW. Direct 375. I did raise the grid a bit. I keep 3/4” copper tees on hand if I feel the grid needs a bit of raising. Also did a pan full of sliced potatoes, onions, carrots, zucchini and red bell pepper. The chicken was citrus peppercorn from Costco and cooked for about an hour. Those are grapefruit slices in the pic.The veggies were seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper and onion salt and cooked on the grid for about 40 minutes. Turned out great!
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Looks like my method was closest to DonWW. Direct 375. I did raise the grid a bit. I keep 3/4” copper tees on hand if I feel the grid needs a bit of raising. Also did a pan full of sliced potatoes, onions, carrots, zucchini and red bell pepper. The chicken was citrus peppercorn from Costco and cooked for about an hour. Those are grapefruit slices in the pic.The veggies were seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper and onion salt and cooked on the grid for about 40 minutes. Turned out great!
    Nailed it!
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I agree with raised direct.  Here are two birds I cooked last weekend.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • TrippleRipple
    Options
    Raised direct. 400. Skin up to start. Flip at IT of 130. I find the skin crisps better after being rendered. I also inject. 
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI