Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessories for the BGE mini - not the mini max

Options
Are there add-ons for the BGE mini any more or has the mini max taken over the market?  I was looking for a 10 inch cast iron grate and I cant seem to find anything for the mini.  Should I sell this little booger and buy a mini max?

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Could you use a fire grate?  They are 9".  Would it sit on the Mini grid and sill give you the benefit of cast iron?  It won't leave sear "lines", but it would work.

The mini is a neat little grill, just must not be a lot of demand for Eggcessories.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    dont know if there ever was one and there should have been one. the mini and small dont get as hot as the large does for searing. still useful, heres my mini knockoff from vision with a fry basket, i took the grate out and set in on some foil on the lump. ive cooked as many as 24 wings split into 48 wingettes and drums this way

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    dont know if there ever was one and there should have been one. the mini and small dont get as hot as the large does for searing. still useful, heres my mini knockoff from vision with a fry basket, i took the grate out and set in on some foil on the lump. ive cooked as many as 24 wings split into 48 wingettes and drums this way

My small green egg will hit lava temps that are equally as hot as anything i've seen in a large. I can fully wrap the temp gauge no problem
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options

My small green egg will hit lava temps that are equally as hot as anything i've seen in a large. I can fully wrap the temp gauge no problem

my small would get to 750f dome max and it took an hour to get there, i moved it to a friends camp. my large will get to 1200f dome temps in that time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    To answer your question in my opinion yes you should sell it. The minimax is still small enough to carry but gives you enough room to cook for 4 people if need be. I use my minimax for 90% of my cooks for my family of 4. You will have more options for accessories as well.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have both, I personally would not sell my mini to buy a mini max.  The mini is a fire cracker and will get hot faster than the mini max.  Plus I am pretty sure the mini manufactures lump instead of consuming it.  Its amazing.  Regarding accessories, the only one I keep in my minis is a second fire ring to raise the grate.