Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What other things should I replace when replacing the lower portion of a Large BGE?

I expect I'll be getting a new lower half of a large BGE under warranty. 

What might I expect included with the warranty lower half, and what should I source now so I can make the swap?

And, where is the best place to obtain these items.

Everything is original vintage 2011. 

I have a working list of things, so I'm hoping to get a complete list of what I should replace when doing this.

Tnx in advance.
current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    From one who has been down that road once with the base and then with a friggin gravity (aren't most induced that way...) replacement of other pieces/parts you will get a base and that is all.  
    Thus you can keep the band assembly you have from the original 2011 rig or order the new band assembly.  But that and anything else is on you.  FWIW-
    BTW- welcome aboard and the above is likely not what you were seeking here and you may get a better deal.  You and your dealer.  Good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    edited July 2021
    I'll be candid, I'm not really expecting anything extra, just wondering what to expect.  The band and the spring hinge seem to be in good shape, yet they are10 years old. A new band assembly is a little spendy. Is that really needed? Can I just replace the two bolts that deform during assembly?  What about the bolts that hold the springs?

Is there a list of hardware along with sizes? I mean I can measure these all myself, but I was hoping someone would have this.

Let me try to post a pic...
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2021
    You can definitely salvage the band assembly and go to the dealer and get the requisite bolts.  They are grade Five and here is a pic I found thru the forum search function:
    Yes, Grade 5. Look for heads with markings like these...

Hope this helps-
    Edit:  I don't see any issue with the spring assmembly bolts but again challenge the dealer.  Make it their issue.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    edited July 2021
    Thanks for the note.

The original dealer is no longer a BGE dealer. They are handling the warranty through the regional distributor. We'll see how it plays out. 

I'll think I'll visit the new dealer in town and see what they suggest. 

Thanks again.

So a couple of nuts and bolts, and a gasket may be all I need.

Is a fresh coat of high temp paint for the band and nest a good idea? or is it a bad idea? 

I've used Rustoleum high heat ultra on other projects... 
  • lousubcap
    "So a couple of nuts and bolts, and a gasket may be all I need."  You are right with the nuts and bolts as long as the base issue causing the replacement is not a warping issue that could have impacted the bands.
    No need for any paint with the bands in my experience.  The nest can need can need care and feeding to preclude rusting out.
    Gasket depends on the fit when replaced.  @RRP is the true BGE gasket whisperer and provides great service and instructions for gasket replacement.  He is a Rutland gasket (one side only) guru.  Many posts here-go thru the search function to decide how you may want to proceed.  FWIW-
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    There will never be a better time to upgrade to the new bands than when you replace the lower half.  New bands will also include a new handle (mine was shot). Of course, if you don’t want to spend the $140, you can skip the bands. 

My bands were OLD and rust was not a problem.  
    New Orleans LA
  • danhoo
    a rutland gasket was is on the top of my list.

I'll inspect the bands more closely. I didn't realize they were new-and-improved. I'll have to check them out when I visit the new dealer.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    if its under warranty and the firebox and or ring is cracked, thats under warranty as well. i would stick with the old bands til they no longer work, the dome lifts higher and doesnt slide back like the new ones
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Dondgc said:
    There will never be a better time to upgrade to the new bands than when you replace the lower half.  New bands will also include a new handle (mine was shot). Of course, if you don’t want to spend the $140, you can skip the bands. 

My bands were OLD and rust was not a problem.  

The new bands are very nice, IMO. 
    NOLA
  • danhoo
    edited July 2021
    if its under warranty and the firebox and or ring is cracked, thats under warranty as well. i would stick with the old bands til they no longer work, the dome lifts higher and doesnt slide back like the new ones

@fishlessman Thank you. The fire ring is also cracked. I wasn't aware it also has a lifetime warranty. I've added that to the request. 

The hope to hear back early next week. I was told the parts manager is on vacation this week.

On the bands, for now I'm going to stay with the originals. They may get a fresh coat of rusto high temp semi gloss.

• danhoo
    edited July 2021
    lousubcap said:
    "So a couple of nuts and bolts, and a gasket may be all I need."  You are right with the nuts and bolts as long as the base issue causing the replacement is not a warping issue that could have impacted the bands.
    No need for any paint with the bands in my experience.  The nest can need can need care and feeding to preclude rusting out.
    Gasket depends on the fit when replaced.  @RRP is the true BGE gasket whisperer and provides great service and instructions for gasket replacement.  He is a Rutland gasket (one side only) guru.  Many posts here-go thru the search function to decide how you may want to proceed.  FWIW-
    Thanks, re-reading your reply there isn't any warping. There has been a surface cosmetic crack for a few years and it seems to have gotten worse in the past year or so. I just recently noticed the crack now goes through to the inside.

The nest and the bands are in pretty good shape, but since I'll have it all apart it seems like a good time to sand and prime any bare metal and give it all a fresh coat to last another 10 years.

Thanks again. Right now I'm just waiting on the distributor.  I decided to sideline the BGE now that I know about the more serious crack :(
  • danhoo

• danhoo

• BBQ Dad
    BBQ Dad Posts: 1
    edited July 2021
    I recently had the same issue (lower-half cracks) in my 20-year old egg and the replacement is a bit wider than the old one which has caused 1/4" gap all the way around the firebox and ring. The top is also a bit smaller but there still seems to be enough coverage on the gasket to not be an issue. 
  • danhoo
    Thanks BBQ Dad. I've always had a gap on the inside between the firebox and ring and the lower egg. Hopefully it will match width to the top but if not I'll at least be on the lookout for it.

I'm happy that I have a Rutland gasket from @RRP on the way so if the lid and new base are slightly different sizes, the gasket should handle it. 

Oh, and welcome to eggheadforum.

• lousubcap
    @BBQ_Dad welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Clearly you have a few decades of experience with the BGE.  Everyone here ( for the most part) is looking to lift their game and I suspect you have a whole lot of knowledge that would benefit us all.
    Feel free to bring it on.  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    You need to add a table to hold your adult beverage.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky