Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI Question

I received some CI grates from the guy I bought my egg from but they are pretty rusty. I brushed them off good but they still have rust on them. Can I oil them up and nuke them on the egg to help restore them?  I wanted the CI for some steaks tonight. Should I pass on the CI tonight to give them a better cleaning?  
Plainfield, IL
XL BGE

Comments

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Brush them down heavy, oil them up, get them over heat, brush again while they're hot, oil up again. 
    The usual rust won't kill you. If it's flaking chips of rust you may want to hold off, being careful of your teeth.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I wouldn’t “nuke” it. 350-400 will be just fine otherwise you will just be burning off the oil you are using to build your seasoning back up. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Thanks for the info. I got all the flakes off with the first heavy brush. Thanks!
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Oil them up and cook some food. Leave your remnants on them when finished and leave in egg. Brush off the big stuff next time you cook (when heated) and before putting your protein on. No need to overthink this. The fat from your cooks will take care of seasoning over time. Just use the oil the first time to remove the rust. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    if if you really want to clean them up thoroughly and quite easily and have a simple car battery charger then Google removing rust from cast iron. That method has been suggested with positive outcomes on this forum for years for skillets and grates.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    You can also use a brass wire brush that attaches to a drill. I have done this to restore rusted bands on a wine barrel.