Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table to nest

Options
I’ve used a table that holds my XL and small for years. It needs replacing and I also need more space on my patio ( the table is 8 ft long) I rarely move the table except to pressure wash the concrete patio. I’m considering replacing it with 2 nests. I have a stainless steel table for prep work. Any opinions?  Thanks. 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i would hate to go from a table that nice to nests but then nests would be an upgrade from mine just sitting on the ground
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me.
    Options
    If more space is the lead objective then that is a good plan.  I have a L and SBGE, each in a nest.  Never did go the table route for BGE housing.  I do use a  table for dealing with all the required support work.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    The XL in a nest, with mates would be my choice.  Although, I don't know if I could part with that table, either.  It looks very nice.

I think I would try to find a portable table / cart instead of a nest for the small.  I don't like how top heavy the small looks when it is in a nest.  

I have my Mini-Max on a Grill cart.  I know the small might be too top heavy for that particular cart, but I would look for something similar.

Clinton, Iowa
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Compared to what you have currently, the small will probably sit much lower in a nest than what you’re currently using.  I have the standard nest for the small, but added 4 inch casters to increase the height over the standard two inches it comes with.  
    Another consideration for your XL is a modular nest.  If you find you miss the table space you can always add on to the modular nest later.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Compared to what you have currently, the small will probably sit much lower in a nest than what you’re currently using.  I have the standard nest for the small, but added 4 inch casters to increase the height over the standard two inches it comes with.  
    Another consideration for your XL is a modular nest.  If you find you miss the table space you can always add on to the modular nest later.
    Did you get the casters from BGE? Id like to do bigger wheels.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Did you get the casters from BGE? Id like to do bigger wheels.
    Yes, I did.  They are ridiculously overpriced, but managed to get my dealer to throw them in for free (I’ve spent a lot of money there).   I have the same casters on both my modular nests and modular table.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options

This nest has worked great for me, a lot more sturdy and durable than the bge nest. It has an ash drawer and ss shelves that fold down. I don’t think they make it for small but they do have l & xl 
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Cajunwoodcarver
    Options
    Brian, who makes it?  Thanks. 
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    Brian, who makes it?  Thanks. 
    https://smokenproducts.com/

It has worked real well for me, customer service is excellent. If your local to DFW, Blake had them at Sunnyland, I haven’t been there in along time so I’m not sure if they are still there.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    brimee said:

This nest has worked great for me, a lot more sturdy and durable than the bge nest. It has an ash drawer and ss shelves that fold down. I don’t think they make it for small but they do have l & xl 
    I generally like their design but it is a bit irritating to me they have such a short wheelbase, curving in rather than out on the castors.  Depending on where castors are pointed, you lose another inch of wheelbase and the egg is top-heavy.  I'm sure it's fine but it goes against my design paradigms of stability.