Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with lump shards

I opened a new bag of lump today and most of it was small chards with only a small number of good chunks. Do you toss the smaller pieces or can you work them in some way?  
Plainfield, IL
XL BGE

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    It all will burn. If it’s really bad put bigger chunks in first then fill.  

2nd thought this is a prime opportunity to buy a mini. Mine love little pieces of lump.  Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They burn fine.  I don't worry about that stuff.  If there's an excessive amount of charcoal dust, it can block airflow, but low and slows don't need much airflow.  Not ideal for grilling hot though.
    Burn it. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I'm in the camp that doesn't like big chunks anyway. I set them aside and smack them on my "lump reducer" which then makes it easy to pour back in a bag!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I haven’t run into lump that doesn’t burn. I’m pretty sure your significant other will be fine with the size of your lump as well. 
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Small stuff on top makes for the best low and slow. 

Doesn’t block air flow because there’s very little needed anyway
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I have gotten into the habit of feeling the bags of lump before I buy
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    When I read the title I was expecting this to go south very very fast.  Points for maturity Gentleman!!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • It can definitely slow your cook down as far as getting up to temperature and is not ideal for higher temps.  I personally hate the little crap and the dust even in my small Egg, but I try to use as much as I can.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Thanks everyone
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    loco_engr said:
    I have gotten into the habit of feeling the bags of lump before I buy
    Agree, I shake the bag and ‘listen’ too. Also, after shaking, when you compare the bags standing upright, the ones with more headroom usually have more broken pieces that settled.
    canuckland