Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lighting charcoal

What's your favourite method for lighting charcoal?  Maybe I am just impatient but the paraffin blocks, electric coil and torch all seem to have drawbacks as to getting an even start.  Looking at a chimney starter but not sure about putting a bunch of hot coals in an unheated fire ring.  Thanks for your feed back.  

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    When I really want FAST then I use many good long squirts of 91% rubbing alcohol!  It doesn’t have the nasty after affects (stink) of the charcoal fluid..BUT watch out…even 91% is RISKY and nearly explosive! IBut you asked…
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Chimney camp all the way
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    edited June 2021
    Bernzomatic torch with mapps gas for a couple minutes in 3-4 different places on the bed of coal. Only drawback is pieces of hot coal down your shirt, shoes, etc when lighting fresh coal. I once had an ember land on top of my head for a second. 

How do grass burners work? Do they shoot out embers like crazy with fresh coal?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Weed burner is the fastest hands down.  Wear a fire suit.
    Powak said:
    Bernzomatic torch with mapps gas for a couple minutes in 3-4 different places on the bed of coal. Only drawback is pieces of hot coal down your shirt, shoes, etc when lighting fresh coal. I once had an ember land on top of my head for a second. 

MAPP gas is no longer made. They quit making it about a decade ago.
    What is in the yellow bottles is MAP/PRO which is not at all similar the original MAPP gas. The real MAPP gas would burn at over 5000°F.
    MAP-PRO gas burns at 3,730°F, while (propane the stuff in the blue bottles) burns at 3,600°F. The blue bottles are about $4 each - the yellow bottles are about $12 each. Personally, I'm not going to pay three times the price for those extra 70°F.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I have tried most ways and have settled on the propane torch.  I don’t think a chimney starter really gains you anything.  The time factor is really more about getting the ceramics heat soaked and burning clean lump.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    HeavyG said:
    Powak said:

What is in the yellow bottles is MAP/PRO which is not at all similar the original MAPP gas. The real MAPP gas would burn at over 5000°F.
    MAP-PRO gas burns at 3,730°F, while (propane the stuff in the blue bottles) burns at 3,600°F. The blue bottles are about $4 each - the yellow bottles are about $12 each. Personally, I'm not going to pay three times the price for those extra 70°F.

Wow! I’ve noticed there’s like no difference in flame between the two bottles now. Makes sense I’m switching back to propane. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Chimney starter on gas grill burner
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Weed burner is the fastest hands down.  Wear a fire suit.
    This. The second point is why I went back to a chimney. 
    New Orleans LA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    tried just about every method all the way to using burning anthracite out of the coal stove.  just use paper towel drizzled with oil now placed under some loose lump and light, its faster with a second sheet draped over the top as a little extra heat helps the oxygen draw
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I don't like the chimney starter with the egg.  Maybe because I use lump with egg where before I used briquettes.  It's not fast, but I use three wadded up paper towels dipped in used cooking oil.  It's cheap and readily available.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    im usually overshooting temps before i know it but if you want faster add a fan to the lower vent and push air in and take the daisy off the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I use the BGE electric one or BGE Butane one. one - two minutes light times.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    No charcoal lighting thread is complete without @Mickey ‘s pyro display  =)
    canuckland
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Powak said:
    HeavyG said:
    Powak said:

Wow! I’ve noticed there’s like no difference in flame between the two bottles now. Makes sense I’m switching back to propane. 
    Yeah, thanks for that tidbit, HeavyG. I had no idea I've been overpaying.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    I wouldn’t be too concerned about the hot coals from a chimney busting your fire ring.

First of all, the fire ring will break eventually.  Secondly, here’s a little secret about broken fire rings: they still work.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    The egg is it's own chimney starter.  Put the paper or lighting cube under the fire grate and it does the same thing.

For worries about sparks and such from propane torches, you're holding it way too close.  Hold a weed burner back about a foot.  Hitting charcoal with a 3000F+ flame is what causes a sparkler show.  It only takes 670F to get it lit, so how the flame back, let it get wider and you can light a larger surface area with less threat of getting injured.  Always wear eye protection!!
  • Orsi
    Orsi Posts: 15
    Thanks everyone for the input.  Guess I need to be a little more patient.  Will try the paper towel with vegetable oil or maybe bury the electric coil a little deeper.  I do remove the daisy when first starting the charcoal.  
  • nolaegghead
    The egg is it's own chimney starter.  Put the paper or lighting cube under the fire grate and it does the same thing.

Sure, this works but then you have a fire burning under your column of lump whose effluent is baking un-burned lump and smoke wood on the way out potentially prolonging the duration of "bad" smoke.

I once caught a lit piece of charcoal between my lips. Hurt like a ****. Now I wear sunglasses and leather gloves and turn my head away. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Sure, this works but then you have a fire burning under your column of lump whose effluent is baking un-burned lump and smoke wood on the way out potentially prolonging the duration of "bad" smoke.

Guess I'm not used to lump that has the "bad" smoke in it.
  • nolaegghead

Touche on that, but I didn't realize your lump is VOC-free.  It's a major bargain if it will keep up with binchotan!

Looftlighter for over 10 years now.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    RRP said:
    When I really want FAST then I use many good long squirts 
    I do the very same when I have diarrhea. I find that good, long squirts brings much faster relief than short, slow squirts. The only downside to to blasting off a long squirt is everyone hears it. There is no hiding it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead

Touche on that, but I didn't realize your lump is VOC-free.  It's a major bargain if it will keep up with binchotan!

I've been in the charcoal business for 10+ years now and have yet to grasp this aversion to the evil VOC's.....especially when smoking meat!!  I see people talking about firing up charcoal for 30-60 minutes so it burns "clean"--then dumping a bunch of wood chunks on it to make smoke (thus reintroducing a ton of VOCs via un-carbonized wood.)

I get it if you want a minimal amount of smoke flavor in something (like baking a pie, smoking cheese, etc).  Or if you are using a way underkilned charcoal or something made from a South American stink wood.....yeah, not a bad idea to burn them off.  But if you're using a good US-made charcoal, it's going to be primarily oak & hickory carbonized to at least 75-80% (or hopefully 85%).  The smoke flavor for any remaining VOC's is going to be very mellow, indiscernible between species, definitely not anything worse or different than the same smoking woods being added.  So, I don't wait, soon as it's to the desired temp, I'm cooking.

And the whole premise of binchotan is to be able to cook inside without smoke, and not introduce too much of a wood flavor into a very expensive and delicate protein.  For 99.9% of what the average American home chef cooks on the BBQ, a little bit of smoke is not a bad thing.
    Using the same lump, and I'm not saying it was the best stuff out there, I have literally tasted the difference in low and slows between a stable fire and a newly lit or waning (choked) fire.  Maybe there's some kind of "Folie à deux" going on in the BBQ world.  It's certainly happening in politics, so I'm not one to discount it not possible, but there's been plenty of anecdotal evidence that's a real thing.

Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • I've used every method listed, except the weed burner. I use a MAPP gas torch. The chimney is the fastest, but most labor intensive. The egg is about relaxing. If you want fast food, they are take out places, gas grills, and the microwave. 

My advice, light the egg, prep your food, relax and talk to those you're cooking for, adjust the temp, cook and enjoy. There is enough in this life that is fast.

I know a lot of nothing, but there is much more to life than fast. Have fun and enjoy.
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI