Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jacques Pèpin's Bizarre Texas Chili

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJSUy0TBuoY

There was a time when I would try any chili recipe I found.  I have some favorites now, but I don't think I'd ever make this, just weird!  Unusual from JP.  The cool tip I got from this was freezing your cilantro in small bundles, and mincing it while still frozen.  This would be very useful to me; cilantro doesn't keep in either the frig or in a glass of water near as well as parsleys, and even growing it is a pain (you have to reseed every 3 or 4 weeks, it just doesn't last).  I would think freezing the cilantro leaves would turn them to mush, but I'll try most things, once.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    While I don't care for everything he does, I have probably learned more techniques and cooking methods from him than anyone else.  I don't think I have seen anyone else with his knife skills (even when he is looking at the camera !). He regularly posts new stuff to his FB page.
    Raleigh, NC
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I dunno what the heck that guy made but it isn't Texas Chili.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    any real texan knows not to cook chili starting with dry beans, they need to be soaked overnight then simmered partially cooked til the skin cracks when you blow on it =) seriously, wheres the beef
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:

There was a time when I would try any chili recipe I found.  I have some favorites now, but I don't think I'd ever make this, just weird!  Unusual from JP.  The cool tip I got from this was freezing your cilantro in small bundles, and mincing it while still frozen.  This would be very useful to me; cilantro doesn't keep in either the frig or in a glass of water near as well as parsleys, and even growing it is a pain (you have to reseed every 3 or 4 weeks, it just doesn't last).  I would think freezing the cilantro leaves would turn them to mush, but I'll try most things, once.  

lots of herbs turn black and get soft when freezing them, it doesnt matter in chilis, tomato sauces etc as you are looking for flavor and not so much a color splashed on top. basil can be frozen far sauce all winter long as well
    fukahwee maine

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I saw this video the other day and he lost me as soon as he skipped the browning of the meat…however, he is still awesome!  I recently switched to his technique for frying eggs and they are perfect every time. 

Btw, you can catch all the old episodes of the cooking show he and Julia Child did for PBS on Amazon Prime.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Weird, but ok.  I like weird.  Helps me internalize the spectrum of options that I dip into as I cook without recipes.
    Options
    In the beginning he says he got the recipe from the warden of the San Quentin prison.  Is that... really a recipe you want to try?  I can't imagine the goal of prison recipes is to cook great food, but what do I know.  Maybe that kept the inmates calm or something.  Maybe if you're spending a lot of time sitting on the crapper you can't make more shivs.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    That looks good!
    Botch said:
    I'll try most things, once.  

It's only kinky the first time!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited June 2021
    Options
    In the beginning he says he got the recipe from the warden of the San Quentin prison.  Is that... really a recipe you want to try?  I can't imagine the goal of prison recipes is to cook great food, but what do I know.  Maybe that kept the inmates calm or something.  Maybe if you're spending a lot of time sitting on the crapper you can't make more shivs.  

Maybe that's why Johnny was so upset?

Clinton, Iowa
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Love me some Pepin...but what do Frenchmen know about chili?!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Obviously, not much.  But like all of us who didn't invent chili, we can read and learn via media.

Options
    I see someone trying to put their chili in lettuce cups when we judge the state fair chili contest later this year I'm disqualifying them from the competition. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I see someone trying to put their chili in lettuce cups when we judge the state fair chili contest later this year I'm disqualifying them from the competition. 
    Even if it's the best chili there?  I guess that makes sense.

Options
    I saw this video the other day and he lost me as soon as he skipped the browning of the meat…however, he is still awesome!  I recently switched to his technique for frying eggs and they are perfect every time. 

Btw, you can catch all the old episodes of the cooking show he and Julia Child did for PBS on Amazon Prime.  

the hot dog chili in ny ri and ma is usually started raw meat and cold water, it makes a finer sauce as its easier to break down
    fukahwee maine

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Even if it's the best chili there?  I guess that makes sense.

I kid, I kid, 1st off we don't allow that in the competition. 2nd we use CASI rules which don't allow beans in the chili.

• nolaegghead
    Options

the hot dog chili in ny ri and ma is usually started raw meat and cold water, it makes a finer sauce as its easier to break down
    That's fine and dandy and I'm sure you get plenty of beef flavor in the broth that way but I kinda like chunks of meat to make it interesting vs the equivalent of Taco Bell hot sauce which is basically the other extreme, a puree.  Maybe a hybrid process would be better than either one individually.

edited June 2021
    Options

Imagine submitting your competition chili in the heart of Texas, only to look over at the judge's booth and it's man-Karen the HOA Nazi. 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Imagine submitting your competition chili only to look over at the judge's booth and it's man-Karen the HOA Nazi. 
    I for one would be appreciative of that. O wait.....

• fishlessman
    Options

That's fine and dandy and I'm sure you get plenty of beef flavor in the broth that way but I kinda like chunks of meat to make it interesting vs the equivalent of Taco Bell hot sauce which is basically the other extreme, a puree.  Maybe a hybrid process would be better than either one individually.

the dog is deep fried crunchy skin, then i ask for a wrap of cheese on the dog, the roll is fried in butter crispy brown, then i ask for it with sauerkraut,dog with cheese, chili (usually very hot in flavor, red onion, and celery salt. not much room for meat chunks. hard to find deep fried gagger dogs anymore. when i make a bowl of chili its half browned hamburger which is a mix of cuts chili ground, and half browned beef stew meat to start, beans optional depending on how bitchy the crowd is. chili should be hot enough that i get leftovers
    fukahwee maine

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Perhaps that the issue...since San Quentin prison is in California.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    About as much as someone living in Connecticut knows about Carolina barbecue…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options

12 Salty Memes To Use You39re Feeling 39So Salty39  YourTango
    Options

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    Chili threads?  Ruining chili threads now?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Chili threads?  Ruining chili threads now?
    Why not. Do you know how many chili recipes are listed on the corporate Big Green Egg website recipes page?

Here's one for you:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    No meat chili?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    4TheGrillOfIt said:
      I recently switched to his technique for frying eggs and they are perfect every time. 

Thanks.I just researched that egg frying video and I like it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BSR
    BSR Posts: 165
    Options
    Botch said:

I cut a tiny bit off the bottom and put it in a glass with a little water in the bottom and stick it in my fridge. It will last well over a week like that.