Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers 3 ways

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Gettin ready for July 4th. Planning on pork belly burnt ends and burgers. Last week I thought I’d nail down which style of burgers were gonna do so I did a test run of cooking burgers 3 different ways at the same time for my girls to try out and decide which one is the winner. I used fresh 80/20 ground beef from my local Market Basket.  I had 2 of my kettles and egg going. We did Malcom Reed’s All-American burger on the kettle over briquettes https://youtu.be/ywzGmKJDjhk ,   smash burgers on the cast iron griddle and Malcom’s super bowl Sunday half pound THICK burger on the Grillgrates, bars up, in the egg https://youtu.be/pGVzEZdVK44

Here’s the pics in that order:

The smash burgers and thick super bowl burger were tied FTW!  The All-American turned out dried out. Malcom calls out 13-14 minutes for those little 1/4 patties with a combo of indirect and little finish over the coals but the indirect time seemed to just dry em out a bit. Like to try those again over the coals with maybe 2-3 minutes a side and no indirect time. 

Comments

• Phaqallyall
    Phaqallyall Posts: 128
    Options
    Well done.
    sound it out yaidjit
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    That looks like a super fun activity with your girls!  I hope they got to help a little, besides just judging.  Although, the judging is probably the best part!

How many 4th of July burgers will you cook?  That may influence your method.  

I have been doing smash burgers on the back of the grill grates and I have to say they are my current favorite.  Plus, I like that I don't have to make patties, as mine never seem to turn out equal thickness / size.  With the smash burgers, I just ball them up and squish them.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Yes.  Well played on many levels.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bifteck haché à trois always has winners and losers