Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon pepper corn sauce and compote butta

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
So I've been looking at the fine details for my steaks.  Decided to revisit old habits

Made a compote Butter with all fresh ingredients.  Rosemary, thyme, hint of basil, fresh minced garlic, lemon juice, medly ground pepper,  sea salt and two sticks of butter. 

Softened mixed and rolled on wax paper to make a log.  Chill.  Slice as needed.

The bourbon peppercorn sauce, my favorite.

2 cups Beef broth
1 1/2 tbls ground medley pepper corns
1 Shallot cut fine
3 tsp Fine chopped garlic
1 tsp Brown sugar
1/4 cup Bourbon 
1 Tsp raw Bourbon powder
2 tbls Butter I use unsalted 
1/3 cup Heavy cream
2 tbls Wandra flour to thinkin as needed.

Together on steak, mashed potatoes etc omg.   Anyway I'll post photos if anyone is interested.  
Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds great.  Do you cook the alcohol out of the bourbon before you add the cream?
    Options
    Sorry guys here's the recipe how too
    Columbus, Ohio
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Yes, photos please.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • jdMyers
    edited June 2021
    Options
    1. low heat to medium with olive oil, add shallots and garlic. Cook until shallots and garlic soften, about 5 minutes adding extra olive oil if needed.  
    2. Add peppercorns to the shallots and continue to cook for 2-4 minutes.  I grind mine down to course.  I like three color peppercorns 
    3. Pour in the bourbon to deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. 
    4. Stir in the beef broth and sugar and continue to cook for about 4 minutes.
    5. Whisk in heavy cream and then add butter until well combined.
    6. If you like your sauce a little thicker, remove a few tablespoons full of the sauce to a small bowl and whisk in 2 tablespoons Wondra flour until smooth. Or corn starch.
    7.  Add it to the sauce in the skillet and whisk until smooth. Continue to cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens. 
    8. Remove from the heat to a side dish or squeeze bottle.  Mini creamer pour cup is always fancy.
    BGE steak seared with the compote Butter above, then pour some this over the steak when served.   You will LICK THE PLATE.
      Columbus, Ohio
    1. jdMyers
      Options
      the compote Butter.  Slice and use as needed.  Always ready

Columbus, Ohio
    2. jdMyers
      edited June 2021
      Options
      So, made a batch all ready for Sunday.  Sorry about all the photos.  Hope someone else likes it other than me.   

So cleaned seasoned and double wrapped.  Into the fridge.

The stuff

Ground pepper corns.  Fresh is so good smelling.  Shallots and garlic already cooked down before adding peppercorns

Cooked down.  Bourbon added.  1/4 cup.

Add 2 cups beef broth and 1tsp brown sugar.  

Add butter and heavy cream and whisk.

Added bourbon powder, rare and hard to come by.  But this is when wandra flour or corn starch can be added to thicken.  I will thicken on Sunday.  Enjoy.  Thank me later.  On steak just dayum ridiculous 
      Columbus, Ohio
    3. gmanrva
      gmanrva Posts: 424
      Options
      Looking good, can't wait to see the finished product!
      LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
      Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
    4. BigreenGreg
      BigreenGreg Posts: 581
      Options
      I’ve got to quick looking at this while at work, too good. Love the seafood  addition to the potato.
      LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
      Charleston, SC
    5. DainW
      DainW Posts: 159
      Options
      Man those tomahawks look unreal and the bourbon peppercorn sauce sounds like something I need to try. Nice job. 
    6. Scott805
      Scott805 Posts: 349
      Options
      That looks so freekin' delicious!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

7. jdMyers
      edited June 2021
      Options
      Thanks.  Wish I would have took the tails off the shrimp.  Don't know what I was thinking.  The peppercorn sauce.  Really easy.  Worth trying once.  But the pre-made compote Butter slow melted and just covered the top of the steak with so much flavor.   I dont know why but cling wrap seems to make the seasoning go further into the meat.  Same on ribs.  If you try it.  Take photos
      Columbus, Ohio
    8. alaskanassasin
      alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
      Options
      Where you getting that quality of steak?
      South of Columbus, Ohio.

9. jdMyers
      Options
      That there is run of the mill Kroger in the pre wrapped package.  The butcher cut select is horror looking.  I think it said Smith farms $11.99 lbs.  Then I season and double wrapped in cling wrap for at least a day.
      Columbus, Ohio
    10. jdMyers
      edited June 2021
      Options
      Labels soaked off.
      Columbus, Ohio
    11. alaskanassasin
      Options
      It really pisses me off that the small town Kroger’s are dilapidated, dirty, and don’t stock anything beyond the bare basics. My local store took out the meat counter last month. Meanwhile if you go to Columbus their floor plan looks like a Whole Foods.  Off my soap box now.
      South of Columbus, Ohio.

12. jdMyers
      Options
      But it is true.  On the other hand I cheat.  I made it a point to become great friends with Ms. Mary.  Elderly lady behind the meat counter.  She calls.me with specifics that I look for.  Seafood clearances, when whole beef loins are on sale etc.  
      Columbus, Ohio
    13. StillH2OEgger
      StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
      Options
      Quiet a feast there. Great work!
      Stillwater, MN
    14. alaskanassasin
      edited June 2021
      Options
      Yeah, I over heard the now meatless counter lady (60+yo) say they took .45c a hour off of her paycheck because she doesn’t have to man it anymore smh. 
      South of Columbus, Ohio.