Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fathers Day Beef Plate Ribs are on!

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
Seasoned with Meat Church Holy Cow. Slab on the left is Prime. I had to buy another slab (choice on the right) because we had a last minute guest. Using Post Oak chunks for smoke. Each slab is 5 lbs each. I figure 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours but will probe for tenderness.

Grate temp is set at 265. I know that with offset smokers you can cook at higher temps due to the air circulation in an offset vs the egg. Is 265 grate too high of a temp?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    I have never measured grate temp on the BGE but given that will likely closely match the dome after a few hours, you are fine with it.  Good call with the foil protection over the exposed ends.  If you have a second grid option you could go elevated and just rotate about 3-4 hours in-FWIW.  
    Great eats await.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I have never measured grate temp on the BGE but given that will likely closely match the dome after a few hours, you are fine with it.  Good call with the foil protection over the exposed ends.  If you have a second grid option you could go elevated and just rotate about 3-4 hours in-FWIW.  
    Great eats await.  
    I do have the CGS rack but since I had enough space I will rotate the ribs midway through the cook. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I will take the middle one, on the right!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    You are fine, anything under 300F and as close as possible to 250F is what I aim for.

176F-178F is typically where I hit the stall but the last two racks I smoked did not stay there for too long.

Options
    Brisket on a stick right there.  Way to bring it home.  Nailed 'em.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks, my wife said that she liked them
    better than brisket.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dstearn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks, my wife said that she liked them
    better than brisket.
    I generally agree with your wise wife. Bravo!