Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pasteis de Nata on BGE

Hi all,
Been egging some, took a motorcycle ride from MN to Guatemala, Central America and such but today, I thought I would try making some pasteis de natas. It's a puff pastry with a custard cooked at a high temp. Being 85 degrees outside, I didn't care to turn my oven on. And why, I have a BGE.
Sorry, photos are in reverse order. Posting from cell phone. Love my pc and mouse....

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Those look great.
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Love Pastel de nata and these look like absolute winners. The pastry on the base looks perfect
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I don’t know what that is. But I want it. Looks genius!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Those look awesome!

Any links/pics of the trip?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Oh my God, Yes!!!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. I wish I was on this forum more contributing. Life just gets so busy.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    WeberWho said:
    Those look awesome!

Any links/pics of the trip?
    Here is a link to Adventure Rider and a few photos. I carried a lot of food with like I was going to the Arctic but never touched any of it. Mexico street food was always great.
    Dipped My Toes in Central America | Adventure Rider (advrider.com) 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    blind99 said:
    I don’t know what that is. But I want it. Looks genius!
    heaven in your mouth 🤣😂

Never heard of these, but man those look awesome.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    I am surprised, it sounds like many people don’t know about them.  Maybe it is because I grew up with Portuguese neighbors?  When done right I think this is one of the best thing on earth.  When overcooked they are “OK”.  Out health minister (who is Portuguese), early in the pandemic when the lockdown started, gave as advice to people to learn to bake them so I think everyone in the province have heard about it now.  The bakery where I used to get the best ones is always sold out now 🤷‍♂️

paqman said:
    I am surprised, it sounds like many people don’t know about them.  Maybe it is because I grew up with Portuguese neighbors?  When done right I think this is one of the best thing on earth.  When overcooked they are “OK”.  Out health minister (who is Portuguese), early in the pandemic when the lockdown started, gave as advice to people to learn to bake them so I think everyone in the province have heard about it now.  The bakery where I used to get the best ones is always sold out now 🤷‍♂️
    Yeah, that might have something to do with it, lol.

I googled around and found a recipe that looks pretty good.  I may have to give these a shot.  They do look like something pretty awesome.  
  • paqman
    @JohnInCarolina This is the recipe I use:

https://leitesculinaria.com/7759/recipes-pasteis-de-nata.html

The trick is not to overcook the custard and finish the top with a torch if needed, you want some char.

paqman said:

The trick is not to overcook the custard and finish the top with a torch if needed, you want some char.
    Thanks!
  • bigguy136
    I run my large BGE to 600 degrees, add a dozen and open bottom vent all the way. Takes 9 minutes. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• paqman
    edited June 2021
    bigguy136 said:
    I run my large BGE to 600 degrees, add a dozen and open bottom vent all the way. Takes 9 minutes. 
    Doing them on the BGE is a great idea!  I’ll probably do a double batch next time I bake some just in case I mess them up in the egg 🤣😂

@bigguy136 interesting trip! I read through your other forum post, pretty impressive knowing only 3 words of Spanish. Do you take these trips alone?   I remember seeing a couple of you guys up on the Alcan, Yukon Territory one time, flat, road disappearing over the horizon, gusty 40+ mph cross winds. I looked like they were leaning over about 35 degrees and probably driving 45mph. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    paqman said:

Noticed the authentic version of these are normally cooked at temps that are quite higher than a home oven.  Like 800F.  I’m wondering if I can make a version of these in the Roccbox.
  • paqman
    paqman said:

Noticed the authentic version of these are normally cooked at temps that are quite higher than a home oven.  Like 800F.  I’m wondering if I can make a version of these in the Roccbox.
    I have been thinking about it but I’ve had great results indoor (I finish with an infrared broiler + a torch).  It is a LOT of work so I stick to a method that works and I haven’t experimented much.  Let me know how it goes if you try it.  There is someone on the Gozney Facebook page that posted this a couple of months ago and they were overcooked (you can see that the custard has puffed).  I asked him for details about timing/temperature but he didn’t have any precise details.

@bigguy136 interesting trip! I read through your other forum post, pretty impressive knowing only 3 words of Spanish. Do you take these trips alone?   I remember seeing a couple of you guys up on the Alcan, Yukon Territory one time, flat, road disappearing over the horizon, gusty 40+ mph cross winds. I looked like they were leaning over about 35 degrees and probably driving 45mph. 
    A great way to interact with the locals not knowing how to speak their language. I feel my trip was so much better having to ask for help and everyone went out of their way to help.

Yes, I travel alone. Not many people care to live in a tent with little to no cell service in bear country for a month at a time.

If the dirt roads are okay, I can ride at 60-70 MPH but when the roads are wet, I will go 30-40 MPH. Not many cars on the roads.

I love going to Alaska and Canada. I'm jealous you get to live there.
    Looking forward to boarders opening again. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    paqman said:

So ... I tried to make these by following this recipe, and it did not go well.  LOL.  I've had some fails before but this was one for the ages.  Thankfully it occurred in the beginning and not towards the finish line.

It's just a very wet dough - north of 72% hydration.  So it's tough to work with.  When you combine that with rolling it out fairly thin, well... I found it very difficult to manage, even with heavily floured hands.  It probably wasn't helped by how humid and warm it is in our kitchen.  I rolled it out and even managed the first round of butter, but when I went to fold it... nope.  Not happening.  I couldn't really get it going and it quickly turned into a mess.  I ended up just balling it up and tossing it all in the trash.

Oh well.  I'll probably give it a shot some other time, we'll see.  I did have a laugh re-watching the video and hearing her say "these are much easier to make than you think they are!"  Oh boy.  I have newfound appreciation for pastry chefs.   
  • paqman
    It is tough… The high hydration helps with the puffing of the dough.  It is not for the faint of heart but well worth the reward when you get it right.  SWMBO has been asking for over a week now so I will have to oblige soon…