Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me spend $ on a new grill

Legume
Legume Posts: 14,602
Looking for an adjustable level grill that can be used with a fire pit / campfire.  This is for backyard, so build quality > portability.  Ideally something like a Santa Maria style that fits over a fire, not a tripod or stake in the ground kind.

I’ve checked out Amazon, lots in the $75-100 range that don’t look stable or like they’ll go the distance.  

Anyone?

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2021
    Something like this? It's swings on the pole and adjusts up and down (though not with a pully). 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Thanks @SonVolt, that definitely looks sturdier than what I’ve seen online, but the vertical adjustment is necessary.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    These folks make a Santa Maria rig sized to fit over Weber Kettles of various diameters:

These folks make a portable SM that is rectangular:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I looked at this earlier, it may be easier to fabricate/have someone fabricate exactly what you want versus trying to find something online. Seems like an easy enough setup that it shouldn’t cost that much. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Legume
    HeavyG said:
    These folks make a Santa Maria rig sized to fit over Weber Kettles of various diameters:

These folks make a portable SM that is rectangular:

Thanks - I like the Gabby’s one.  
  • How about a big green egg? Duh. There are lots of other forums out there for other grills. Go ask them. This forum  is only for the best one. The Big Green Egg 
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited June 2021
    You want to look differently. Look more under portable or round Argentine grills.  You could easily make one and make it round.  Two cables attached to a rod that spins.  The vertical arms can be made such to remove a wing nut and separate the arms so it can collapse down.  Same for removing the wheel.  And welder can whip this out.  Then have all but the grate powder coated into any color you want.  Would be really nice.  In the photo below.  Legs can be made to pound into the dirt for stability then the grill set down on top of them.  They can be adjustable as well.  Telescopic.  Or sit right on the fire ring.  I'd build it if I were you.

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited June 2021
    But already made.   Here ya go. a blueprint to copy the stainless steel one.  Already to disassemble and everything.  Powder coated red orange or purple.  Stand out big pimpin.  The first one just to show a different handle and stop lever so it won't unroll.  Now I want to make one.

Columbus, Ohio
  • Legume
    How about a big green egg? Duh. There are lots of other forums out there for other grills. Go ask them. This forum  is only for the best one. The Big Green Egg 
    Let’s see your eggs!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
     a bit more simplistic, a keyhole fire pit with an adjustable heat source

longer keyhole for hotter and less hot cooking areas

Key Hole Fire Pit Measurements - Scotty39s  Hearthcom Forums Home

not sure why an adjustable height is needed with these

Keyhole fire pit with adjustable grille  Fire pit cooking Outdoor fire pit  seating Backyard bbq pit

i like the first one as it looks more bonfire friendly
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Thanks Fish, that’s not unlike current setup (this is for son in law). Landscape block fire pit and he uses a flat grate across it but doesn’t have the keyhole design.  Decided to go with the gabby’s grill that @HeavyG linked. Good reviews, made in Santa Maria country and with a little adjustment of the fire pit diameter this should work well.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Legume said:
    Thanks Fish, that’s not unlike current setup (this is for son in law). Landscape block fire pit and he uses a flat grate across it but doesn’t have the keyhole design.  Decided to go with the gabby’s grill that @HeavyG linked. Good reviews, made in Santa Maria country and with a little adjustment of the fire pit diameter this should work well.

He is lucky to have you.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    @alaskanassasin let me cure you of any of that thinking.  Daughter is buying it as a gift, I just project managed (delegated) the research here and provided consultation services (sent link) for which to buy.  I wish I could have a fire pit here, but city ordinance doesn’t allow (I do still use my solo stove when conditions are right).
  • Legume said:
    So you will take his recommendations without seeing his eggs but not mine without seeing my eggs? Not fair! 
  • Legume
    Legume said:
    So you will take his recommendations without seeing his eggs but not mine without seeing my eggs? Not fair! 
    @HeavyG PM’d me some pictures.  He sends me pics of his food all the time and his collection of grills.  Kind of exhausting actually.  If he wasn’t 6’6” and skinny as a rail I would worry about all those 1/2” steaks he eats.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Legume said:
    @HeavyG PM’d me some pictures.  He sends me pics of his food all the time
    LIAR!!!!!
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Schwenker!

I've got a 22" Gabby's, it's OK. Not my first go to grill. Good for certain cuts of meat. Use it over a Weber kettle.

I made a Schwenker a number of years ago after a friend showed me a pic of one and said "how come you don't have one of these?".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLWuP6FERhI

• Legume
    womaus said:
    Schwenker!

I've got a 22" Gabby's, it's OK. Not my first go to grill. Good for certain cuts of meat. Use it over a Weber kettle.

I made a Schwenker a number of years ago after a friend showed me a pic of one and said "how come you don't have one of these?".

I like the ideas of these, I may make one myself for camping, better than the grills on the fire rings and I could use over a solo strove as well.

Daughter already ordered the Gabby’s.  It will set into a landscape block fire ring, I’m sure they’ll be happy with it.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    womaus said:
    Schwenker!

Schwenker grills are great, the regional speciality grill in Saarland when I lived in Germany.