Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control

Options
Hi everyone.. I've had my large egg for over a year now but lately I can't seem to get the temp to settle at anything below 300*. I used to be able to hold 225-250 with no issues. The only change has been a new top vent. I got the smokeware vent. It's installed and seated properly. Right now it's at 315* with the lower open about 1/8 and the top basically closed.

where am I going wrong? dumb question, but will direct sunlight alter the temps at all?

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Only thing that can result in higher temps is the oxygen.....it's getting it somewhere.  Check your base for cracks and the gasket for leaks.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    You have air getting in somewhere. Check the main gasket. I can’t help with stoneware cap, I’ve had the daisy wheel since I got it. Direct sunlight and ambient temperatures don’t really affect it. Mine sits in direct Las Vegas sunlight and my vent settings are consistent. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    since the only thing that changed is the top vent - why not eliminate that variable and put the old vent on for a cook? 
    New Orleans LA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    All of the above , but check your calibration first 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MLBguru8
    MLBguru8 Posts: 3
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    since the only thing that changed is the top vent - why not eliminate that variable and put the old vent on for a cook? 
    Doing that with this cook currently. No change. 

I’ve completely closed the bottom vent to see if the temp hold. I assume if that happens then air is getting in somewhere else. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Agree with all above but will also ask when was the last time you checked your thermometer.  You could also be getting an incorrect reading.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• MLBguru8
    MLBguru8 Posts: 3
    Options
    Acn said:
    Agree with all above but will also ask when was the last time you checked your thermometer.  You could also be getting an incorrect reading.
    Checked it last cook and adjusted, so that’s good. Also use a thermapro digital both on the grate and in the meat. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    @lkapigian has a great point about checking the thermometer. You can pull it out and do that while you’re cooking. 
    New Orleans LA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    check the silicone seal around the lower vent but if you want a lower temp set the lower vent under 1/16 and see if that works, mine is even less than that for 225 dome temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Unrelated but welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    It's all been said above, but if you need it for additional moral support, air is getting in somewhere, find out how, and you will have solved this problem.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It's not the cap.....it's getting O2.  Leaky seal or a crack in the base
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Check your base for cracks. That is too 3 for temp control. I struggled with mine for a month before checking it out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Is there any smoke leading out between the dome and base? Could be the gasket or an alignment issue or both.