Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Huge Brisket

Options
TN2TX
TN2TX Posts: 298
We are hosting a party this weekend and I let the wife pickup the brisket from Costco. I told her I needed a 14lb bc that typically fits in the large bge. She brought home a 20lb and it’s about 3inches longer than the dome itself. Have y’all encountered this issue and what did you do to solve? Thought about draping it over something like a couple bricks. 
Dallas, TX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Yes ,Put a brick under it, after it shrinks remove the brick 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Ok. Thank you. 
    Dallas, TX
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Sounds like a good reason to buy an XL!  🙃
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Yes ,Put a brick under it, after it shrinks remove the brick 

This works perfectly.
    NOLA
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Absolutely!
    Dallas, TX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Bricks work so does inverting the V-rack if you have one. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Tip2Tip
    Tip2Tip Posts: 100
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Thankfully I've never had that problem of my wife bringing home a piece of meat that's bigger and longer than what I was used to handling myself.    
    California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    TN2TX - just sent you a PM with some brisket info that may help you out.  Enjoy the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Tip2Tip said:
    Thankfully I've never had that problem of my wife bringing home a piece of meat that's bigger and longer than what I was used to handling myself.    
    Oh wow. You must handle a lot of meat. Does she bring home lots for you to compare? 
    Dallas, TX
  • TN2TX
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    TN2TX - just sent you a PM with some brisket info that may help you out.  Enjoy the cook.  
    Thank you sir. That is a similar process to my cooking process. 
    Dallas, TX
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    And the rationale is fool proof…. “But honey, how can I cook these massive briskets you’re buying on such a puny Egg?!”
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    And the rationale is fool proof…. “But honey, how can I cook these massive briskets you’re buying on such a puny Egg?!”
    This argument worked both ways for me.  I started with a large and said, “it would be nice to have a small when all I’m doing is throwing on a couple of steaks, chops, fish, etc…” Then at the holidays, “Sure would be nice to have an XL for a bigger turkey, brisket, 7 bone prime rib…”
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Can also cut off part of the thinner flat and grind for sliders or tacos.
    Ground brisket is fantastic.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tip2Tip
    Tip2Tip Posts: 100
    Options
    TN2TX said:
    Tip2Tip said:
    Oh wow. You must handle a lot of meat. Does she bring home lots for you to compare? 
    No she seems very happy handling my meat as well.  
    California
  • TN2TX
    Options
    @4TheGrillOfIt I’m convinced the XL and Mini is the perfect combo. 
    Dallas, TX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    maybe trim off the point???
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I stack up some pieces of smoking wood in the center of the grid and drape the brisket over them. Remove after the brisket shrinks down.

My last cook was a 17lb'er and it was a little tight. You can make things a bit easier the lower down into the egg you set up your grid.

One other idea, trim a bit of flat.
    Mountain View, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Can also cut off part of the thinner flat and grind for sliders or tacos.
    Ground brisket is fantastic.
    Yes, I had a 21 pounder last round.  A bit of circumcision and the brick were needed.
    Options
    I have a L BGE and I love it. But I am not married and live alone, so a M would have made more sense. I helped my brother score a M from a friend moving to DC and who didn't want to drag something so heavy up there, so he gave the M to my brother for $0. Deal of the decade.