Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Attn: Bicycle Mavens, advice sought

I want to electrify my cargo bike and really start trying to wear it out between my house and shop and around the hood.  I've been looking at ebikes and kits, and I figure I already have enough bikes, more practical to buy a kit.

Also, I'd like to put together a decent set of bicycle tools.  I have plenty of car and generic tools, but not too much that's bike specific.  A chain breaker, bike service stand, the usual screw drivers, Torx, allen keys, etc. That's about all I have. 

I'm thinking about getting this kit.  Thoughts?
And then add some freewheel tools and maybe crank bearing sockets to cover everything I'll encounter, or just as I need them.

My take on ebikes is they're mostly junk until you get into the 2k plus range.  For 1k I can convert my cargo bike, which is a good, useful platform to get around and haul crap.  I really don't want to have yet another bike laying around, make better use of what I have.  The cargo bike is pretty decent, some custom wood stuff I made, Brooks saddle, nice components except for the mediocre derailers.  (front will come off with the conversion).  Hydraulic brakes, HUGE rotors to stop all the weight.

I'm thinking I need power, but nothing crazy, so I'd get the lower tooth (high torque) 750 watt mid drive here:

Upgrade the battery to the 17.5 AHr 48V Samsung 35E 18650 pack for 200 clams.  With options and everything, that would be about $1100 for a turn-key system with the biggest, best battery I can get without going boutique.

If anyone has gone down this road and can give me some advice to save me from learning the hard way, I'd love to hear it.

Comments

• You should consider the 1000w with the 52v Jumbo Shark lol... How much you plan to pedal?  Mileage compared to charge time does not seem that great.  You probably already have read the faq section on mileage and charging though.  I had thoughts of a Weed Wacker engine as we have one buzzing around the neighborhood from time to time.  Wife could keep up then lol.. Keep us updated on this adventure.
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    My wife and I have been riding our rad power bikes radrunners for almost a year and half and have enjoyed them with zero issues. They start at 1100.00. I went to Bolton E Bikes and bought an upgrade kit and my bike will easily do 30 MPH. For the price they are awesome and customer care is great!

We live in a downtown area and when not at work we use our bikes for everything. I even bought a trailer that attached to it.
    O-Town, FL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @ewyllins Those look pretty nice...that certainly would be easier for the same money....hmmm
    @ewyllins Those look pretty nice...that certainly would be easier for the same money....hmmm
    A couple of things about the bikes, from riding them alot:
    1. On a full charge and with Pedal assist of 2 (Pedal Assist ranges from 1-4 with 4 being almost full throttle) you can expect to get around 45-50 miles on a full battery
    2. Full throttle everywhere you can expect 15-20 miles depending on our weight, heavier rider more battery
    The batteries are 48V however the stock controllers do not use all 48 V and 750 watts therefore top speed will only be around 22MPH. For around 200.00 you can get a better controller that will push the bike to 30. Again, from Bolton Ebikes.

They have so many different models to chose from. They are even opening dealerships across the country. 
    O-Town, FL

• nolaegghead
    Is there a battery warranty?   That's the most expensive component by far, and most likely to fail if it's not design and manufactured correctly. 
    @nolaegghead Its a Samsung battery and I want to say its a 2 year warranty but I have drunk brain so I dont remember. Rad Power has recommendations on how to cycle the charges but so far I've just charged them when they get low. I understand they are cells and there are certain ways to charge them to keep the life long but again, I have drunk brain so I just charge them when low. So far so good.
    O-Town, FL

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    You guys are lucky. E bikes here are legally limited to 250W and 15 mph, which makes them a much less attractive option.

@ewyllins not sure on the exact chemistry of the batteries you are using, but life cycles vary considerably with the charge cycle. Simple advice is to not go lower than 20% and to not leave the battery stored at 100%. 

• nolaegghead
    Eoin said:
    You guys are lucky. E bikes here are legally limited to 250W and 15 mph, which makes them a much less attractive option.

@ewyllins not sure on the exact chemistry of the batteries you are using, but life cycles vary considerably with the charge cycle. Simple advice is to not go lower than 20% and to not leave the battery stored at 100%. 

https://youtu.be/L397TWLwrUU
    I bought a new e-cargo bike from Riese and Muller and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive. I'll update this thread when it gets here.

In terms of tools, I bought these:

Mountain View, CA
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    @nolaegghead, I’ll trade you a Radwagon w ~500 miles on it for a RadRunner

i like the fun of the ebike but would rather have a smaller one
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    As far as tools go I’d look at the park tool sets, see what you don’t have and fill in.
    https://www.parktool.com/product/home-mechanic-starter-kit-sk-4?category=Tool%20Kits

The best tool I have is the repair stand, mostly what I use are T handle hex keys but I’m looking at the ball end style as T handle just doesn’t work in a few spots
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • nolaegghead
    dmourati said:
    I bought a new e-cargo bike from Riese and Muller and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive. I'll update this thread when it gets here.

In terms of tools, I bought these:

I have all those except the green handled wera.
    Park tools are great, the best bike tools, no doubt.  I have a bike service stand.   All of the bike tools that cross over to cars and motorcycles I have.  Just need a few specialty tools.
    Bottom bracket tool, chain whip, tubeless sealant syringe, disc brake rotor adjustment tool, chain tool, hydraulic brake bleed kit- brake specific, shock pump, crank puller, chainring nut tool

That’s some good one to have around