Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low & Slow Tritip.

Options
Low and Slow Tritip.  Rubbed with mustard, then salt and pepper only.  Smoked for about 4 or 5 hours then wrapped in foil.  You have to try this.  Its a third of the work of a brisket and almost as good.  Especially if you like the leaner pieces of brisket.  Its very similar.  

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Want to try this sometime. What internal temp did you take it to?
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    Want to try this sometime. What internal temp did you take it to?
    I have done 2 this way and pulled them both at 200 IT
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I take Tri Tips to 118* and then reverse sear because we like our beef medium rare. It usually takes about 45 minutes for a 4lb+ Tri Tip. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use a Mediterranean marinade, on tri tip, that we enjoy. We smoke with pecan, and pull at 140°F internal, slice and serve over basmati with roasted veggies.

I will try this method next time.

Beautiful presentation, thank you for sharing. It looks delicious. Great carving board too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    I take Tri Tips to 118* and then reverse sear because we like our beef medium rare. It usually takes about 45 minutes for a 4lb+ Tri Tip. 
    Yes I have done the reverse sear as well.  ITs great, and the Tritip eats more like steak...  when you go low and slow its more tender and more like a smoked brisket.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    Yes I have done the reverse sear as well.  ITs great, and the Tritip eats more like steak...  when you go low and slow its more tender and more like a smoked brisket.  
    I guess what I don’t understand is, if you want brisket, why not smoke brisket?  It’s quite a bit less expensive per pound compared to tri-tip.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    I guess what I don’t understand is, if you want brisket, why not smoke brisket?  It’s quite a bit less expensive per pound compared to tri-tip.
    Hard to find a 2-3 pound brisket ....i do it this way simply its neat Impossible to hold Tri tip for hours med rare..much easier to let it ride , that's just what works for me....cooking just fir me alone, no
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    JNDATHP said:
    Hard to find a 2-3 pound brisket ....i do it this way simply its neat Impossible to hold Tri tip for hours med rare..much easier to let it ride , that's just what works for me....cooking just fir me alone, no
    That makes total sense to me, Larry.  If someone else cooked this for me, I'm sure I'd be happy to try it.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    Looking good man. I’m amazed by how tri-tip, when taken to that temp, doesn’t dry out or burn up like a steak would. I did this once and it turned out great. The recipe I used called for an injection and a foil wrap. Looking at your post, I wonder if the injection was even necessary. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    DainW said:
    Looking good man. I’m amazed by how tri-tip, when taken to that temp, doesn’t dry out or burn up like a steak would. I did this once and it turned out great. The recipe I used called for an injection and a foil wrap. Looking at your post, I wonder if the injection was even necessary. 

I'm sure, just like a brisket, it depends on the quality of beef you start with.
    A good Choice or Prime grade will have more fat and be juicier than Select Grade.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    DainW said:

It was not as juicy as brisket but pretty close.  But its so much less work and easy to do for two or three people rather than an entire brisket.

• Oilheatme
    Oilheatme Posts: 1
    Options
    Looks very delicious 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That looks fantastic!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va