Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Covid update where I live. You?

Options
124»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm down to 184 from a high of 220. Want to lose another 10 and then work on maintenance and cardio.  Really easy for me to lose weight now that I cut out 2200 calories of booze.  And I'm on a drug whose side effect is appetite suppression that I'll be on for the rest of my life.

But I was really unhealthy when this pandemic hit but successfully managed, following CDC guidelines, to avoid getting sick.  And since then, have turned everything around in the right direction. 
    Nice job on the booze.  Did you quit cold turkey?
    Dr said to not quit on my own, a cold turkey stop could kill me (literally) and I'd probably need a professional program.

As a hard core DIY guy, I did some research and made my own program where I measured my consumption and cut it back each day over a period of around 8 days until I had my last drink.  Haven't had a drop since.  Wasn't easy but I was determined.

181.8 lbs this morning (I get that there's a lot of variability in water weight)

Options
    Eoin said:
    generally speaking, whatever happens in the UK happens here a couple/few weeks later

It seems as though the latest variant is more transmissible and the vaccine is much less effective against it with 1 dose. The fact that the vaccine has been strictly delivered by age and that young people mixing in social settings / schools means it can still spread fast even with a high overall vaccine rate. There's a big push to get all those with a first dose the second dose now. Another 2 weeks and all over 50s should have had 2 doses. 3.5 m doses per week is the steady rate, population 66 m.

We are probably in better shape than you with the double dose recipients, although there is a significant number of people that got their first dose and were no-shows for the second.
    Options
    well I saw 4 people waiting in Walgreens so we haven't finished vaccinating yet. Both Pfizer and Moderna have applied for full authorized use with the CDC. If they get it then employers are legally allowed to require that their employees get vaccinated. Pfizer is now authorized for use down to 12 years old and Moderna has applied for same. So the vaccination numbers will probably continue to hold steady until September. Or I could be wrong, it occasionally happens.
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    I'm down to 184 from a high of 220. Want to lose another 10 and then work on maintenance and cardio.  Really easy for me to lose weight now that I cut out 2200 calories of booze.  And I'm on a drug whose side effect is appetite suppression that I'll be on for the rest of my life.

But I was really unhealthy when this pandemic hit but successfully managed, following CDC guidelines, to avoid getting sick.  And since then, have turned everything around in the right direction. 
    Nice job on the booze.  Did you quit cold turkey?
    Dr said to not quit on my own, a cold turkey stop could kill me (literally) and I'd probably need a professional program.

As a hard core DIY guy, I did some research and made my own program where I measured my consumption and cut it back each day over a period of around 8 days until I had my last drink.  Haven't had a drop since.  Wasn't easy but I was determined.

181.8 lbs this morning (I get that there's a lot of variability in water weight)

Good for you.  Was it hard after the 8 days and when did it get easier?  Thinking about doing it myself.  Save money, calories and better health.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Cheers my friends!  
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Well, went to the Farmer's Market this morning, almost no masks (mine and two others that I saw); and my supermarket this afternoon still has the "Masks Requested" sign on the doors, but no employee was wearing them.  The gym on base still requires them and still has the locker rooms roped off.  Two gas stations I frequent still require them inside.  
    I had my second Fauci Ouchi two months ago, not worried about myself but some folks seem to appreciate it; yet still:
    1.  only just over 40% of all Americans are fully vaccinated,
    2.  the new variants are hitting the (unvaccinated) kids particularly hard,
    3.  that doesn't even include the worst, Vietnamese variant.  
    Much of the country opened up this last weekend, including the Indy 500 (which was, at least, outdoors).  Anxious to see what the numbers are like next weekend.  

EDIT:  And, dayam, I don't follow golf but the 6:00 news just mentioned a guy at some tournament, -16 under par (is that a record?) and he got booted because his test came back Positive!   :o  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

The average rectum can hold about a pint of water. That’s just a cats whisker over a pound. So if you ever need to drop one pound fast you now know what to do. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @Botch- the golfer you mentioned was Jon Rahm, the defending champion and was at -18 (6 shots clear of the field).  He was informed within in minutes of finishing his round and while within around 20 feet of the final green.  Tested negative Weds, Thurs, Friday and it was a double sample test that came up positive today.  No word on whether he was vaccinated.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Botch- the golfer you mentioned was Jon Rahm, the defending champion and was at -18 (6 shots clear of the field).  He was informed within in minutes of finishing his round and while within around 20 feet of the final green.  Tested negative Weds, Thurs, Friday and it was a double sample test that came up positive today.  No word on whether he was vaccinated.  
    While I shouldn't feel sorry for a guy who makes 150 times as much as I do did, playing a game, that still kinda sucks for him.  I can't believe they didn't let him play through, being that close.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm not going to feel very sorry for him if he rejected the opportunity for vaccination without a valid medical excuse.
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I think I read he had his first shot this week.
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    From an ESPN article 

Levinson would not disclose whether Rahm had received the COVID-19 vaccine. But under tour protocols that align with CDC guidelines, players who are fully vaccinated are no longer subject to weekly testing. Levinson also said that vaccinated players would not be subject to the contact tracing that Rahm was part of this week.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    So so why not let him play by himself? Just him and his caddy. And a socially distanced scorekeeper. 
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Legume
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    So so why not let him play by himself? Just him and his caddy. And a socially distanced scorekeeper. 
    Read about it.  They’ve had their process in place for a while, designed by doctors, follows CDC guidelines, etc. it’s been followed and used before, just not with anyone leading.  How well they’re playing really shouldn’t be part of the consideration.

agree/disagree, them’s the rules they have set out and been following
  • Legume
    Options
    …and Rahm lives in AZ.  I can’t imagine he hasn’t had opportunity to get vaccinated.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,426
    Options
    Nothing like going from netting about a million this weekend to having to WD. Vaccinated or not, still sucks for Rahm
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    SGH said:

The average rectum can hold about a pint of water. That’s just a cats whisker over a pound. 
    I'm almost afraid to ask how you figured this out, and also what happened to the cat.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    A whisker under a pound actually. 2.2 pounds per liter and a liter is larger than a quart.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    A whisker under a pound actually. 2.2 pounds per liter and a liter is larger than a quart.
    I wasn't talking about the pint to pound conversion so much as what the rectum can hold, but thank you for clearing all of that up in any case.  
  • Legume
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Nothing like going from netting about a million this weekend to having to WD. Vaccinated or not, still sucks for Rahm
    What sucks is that he has Covid now and may have passed it on.  The money is irrelevant.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Legume said:
    ColbyLang said:
    What sucks is that he has Covid now and may have passed it on.  The money is irrelevant.
    Man tested negative weds, tr, and Friday. All per protocol. Could be a false positive. Could also be a 100% positive. 

Very few folks around him seemed overly concerned about being in close contact with him. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Legume said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Man tested negative weds, tr, and Friday. All per protocol. Could be a false positive. Could also be a 100% positive. 

Very few folks around him seemed overly concerned about being in close contact with him. 
    Some men just surround themselves with idiots I guess.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Legume said:
    ColbyLang said:

By idiots, you mean the heads of the PGA and their medical team? His caddie and playing partner (and his caddie) were already screwed. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Legume said:
    ColbyLang said:

By idiots, you mean the heads of the PGA and their medical team? His caddie and playing partner (and his caddie) were already screwed. 
    I’m assuming those folks were vaccinated. If they weren’t and they’re hanging around someone who may be covid positive, then they’re idiots.  Is that really debatable at this point?  I don’t think so.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    passed a party of 5000 plus this weekend on a sandbar while fishing. open drinking, stereos blaring, girls in bikinis dancing it up. come to maine. marine patrol was way out numbered, resorted to keeping it a no wake zone. have never seen that number of boats on the lake and all anchored in one place
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it