Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franklin's by mail-order, and a Question

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,432
edited June 2021 in EggHead Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA2wkiDI8bg

Watched thru this (too hot to be outside the next couple days), the Money Shots begin at 9:15 if you have a life.  I didn't know you could mail-order a Franklins brisket, only $250!   :o  It comes very well-wrapped, with ice packs on both sides of the meat but it isn't frozen.  Pkg comes with instructions on three different ways to reheat it (stovetop, oven, and Sous Vide).  He went with oven (which included some sliced butter on the top, unwrapped).  Amazingly juicy, from what I could see, for mail-order; the EweTuber raved about it.  
And here's the question: he sliced the flat across the grain, up to the deckle, but then rotated the double-thickness 90º and sliced thru BOTH layers.  I normally pull off the point (along the horizontal layer of fat) and continue the flat until finished in the original direction, then turn the point 90 degrees.  Have I been doing it wrong?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    @Botch no wrong way ...i usually slice through the point and flat , but ill also seperate and do just flat and pointe separate
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    You have now seen the consistent following of the below:  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw 

Now for the finish and slice, here's another great video:

However you get there-that's the goal.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    I started slicing like Franklin after reading his book.  I don't think it really matters except you can get money shots like this.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    edited June 2021
    lkapigian said:
    @Botch no wrong way ...i usually slice through the point and flat , but ill also seperate and do just flat and pointe separate
    No disrespect intended.  There is a wrong way.  I just can't find the video right now.  :smile:

edit: found it

https://youtu.be/hGAP1DG_Vs8
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 379
    I would like to flag that video, not your post, for abuse.  That is horrible.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Botch said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA2wkiDI8bg

Watched thru this (too hot to be outside the next couple days), the Money Shots begin at 9:15 if you have a life.  I didn't know you could mail-order a Franklins brisket, only $250!   :o  It comes very well-wrapped, with ice packs on both sides of the meat but it isn't frozen.  Pkg comes with instructions on three different ways to reheat it (stovetop, oven, and Sous Vide).  He went with oven (which included some sliced butter on the top, unwrapped).  Amazingly juicy, from what I could see, for mail-order; the EweTuber raved about it.  
    And here's the question: he sliced the flat across the grain, up to the deckle, but then rotated the double-thickness 90º and sliced thru BOTH layers.  I normally pull off the point (along the horizontal layer of fat) and continue the flat until finished in the original direction, then turn the point 90 degrees.  Have I been doing it wrong?  
    No....you botched it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    I would like to flag that video, not your post, for abuse.  That is horrible.
    That poor brisket never stood a fighting chance...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I keep going back to watch the GIF provided by @Boileregger

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    kl8ton said:
    I keep going back to watch the GIF provided by @Boileregger

Thanks.  That's definitely my best result to date, now to see if I can consistently produce results like that.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I may some day succumb to the mail order option but you cannot put a price on the experience.  Worth every minute in line and much more.  I have been to Franklin's four times (two trips to Austin) and on each trip was lucky enough to get an audience with the Pope.  Definitely a learning experience each time.  
    Gonna get back late this year as the road trip around CT (Central Texas) is a brisket journey that I doubt can be replicated.
    Meat coma will be at play and well worth it.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @lousubcap, we were in Austin a few weeks ago.  Franklin's is currently only accepting online orders that must be place WELL in advance - for pick up.  Just FYI.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 40
    edited June 2021
    Round trip tickets to Austin are about the same price as the mail order brisket. If it really is 98% as good as the restaurant, this might be a good "investment".
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    CMH88 said:
    Round trip tickets to Austin are about the same price as the mail order brisket. If it really is 98% as good as the restaurant, this might be a good "investment".
    Don't forget to figure in Rental Car prices; they're sky-high right now too ($700/day in Honolulu!)  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Botch said:
    CMH88 said:
    Don't forget to figure in Rental Car prices; they're sky-high right now too ($700/day in Honolulu!)  
    The other day my father mentioned something about people renting UHauls because they were turning out to be cheaper to rent than most rental cars.  That sounds like something UHaul would self-correct pretty quickly, but it did make me smile at the enterprising soul who realized it first.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Whatever I mess up slicing, gets piled on brisket sliders. Nobody cares, ever.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Botch said:
    CMH88 said:
    The other day my father mentioned something about people renting UHauls because they were turning out to be cheaper to rent than most rental cars.  That sounds like something UHaul would self-correct pretty quickly, but it did make me smile at the enterprising soul who realized it first.  
    I rented a U-Haul van a few times in college, because the minimum age to rent was 25yo for  most car rental companies. And, U-Haul didn't charge the ridiculous airport, etc. taxes that car rental places do. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.