Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

kimchi

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
40+ years ago a fellow employee whose wife was from Korea introduced me to kimchi (it was much too hot for my wife). 

His wife said she made it the traditional Korean way in a large vessel then buried in the ground “to rot” since it smells so bad! LOL

Since then I never even had it again. Last week there was an article in our local paper about a start up company (a male WASP LOL) who started making unpasteurized kimchi in a certified clean kitchen environment and aging it for 30 days and then canning it.

I bought a jar and I like it, but like before it is too hot and spicy for my wife.

it got me to thinking - I don’t recall ever seeing a BGE inspired recipe using kimchi. I’d hate to waste a jar eggperimenting if someone else has a drop dead GREAT BGE use. 

Any help our there in Eggdom?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I hope your request leads to fruition but I am not counting on it.  Kimchi will cure lots of ills.  Always has.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    edited June 2021
    Options
    We eat kimchi regularly as a side dish, never considered to have it any other way.
    Will be curious to see what others are doing.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I tried Brad Leone's version, using Brussels sprouts.

https://youtu.be/35Y06i7HnVo

Simple to throw together, and turned out quite well. 

I guess you could cold  smoke the veg for a spell, prior to fermentation. Or after fermentation. It's worth a shot. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I love kimchi, I used to make my own when I had access to the ingredients.  It goes on anything you can think of…

Grill a romaine (lettuce) and top it with kimchi and mandarin oranges.

Use as a condiment on a hot dog or burger.

Add to a stir fry.

Replace your coleslaw or if it is really too hot, do half and half.

Options
    I do recall a post or two featuring a Korean grilling device, kinda like an inverted, perforated metal bowl that you'd set on the BGE's grill, and drape slices of meat across it.  Was gonna buy one but haven't (yet).  If someone could remember the name of this thing, that'll help your Search.

Just checked, I have about two helpings of kimchee left in the jar in my frig; I love the stuff, and both my preferred supermarkets carry it now.  Note to Noobs: it will usually pop and spit out juice/cabbage when you open a new jar; don't worry, it's not spoiled (well, yeah, it is, but its supposed to be).  Deelish!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Loro in Austin has an appetizer featuring post-oak smoked snap peas with a kimchi dipping sauce that’s incredible.  

I’ve wanted to make bulgogi beef sliders using a kimchi slaw.  I think that would come out OK.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    so what is a good brand from your experience?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Loro in Austin has an appetizer featuring post-oak smoked snap peas with a kimchi dipping sauce that’s incredible.  

I’ve wanted to make bulgogi beef sliders using a kimchi slaw.  I think that would come out OK.
    I like the way you think.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

This is amazingly good.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    Chop up a bunch and toss it in with your redwing marinade.
  • TrippleRipple
    Options
    Acn said:

This is amazingly good.
    In that book, 'Buttermilk and Graffiti' by chef Edward Lee, are two kimchi recipes, one summer and one winter; so one is red cabbage (my preference but both are amazing) and one is green. The above recipe is a favorite in my house. You can add cooked rice to this as well, my favorite.
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Last week, I had an ordered pizza that featured kimchi. I like kimchi, but the combination was a little strange to me. Was from a local place called Pizza Nerds (@paqman).
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I use it as a condiment when I eat rice dishes. I'm also weird and will put it on pizza with Hoison sauce.  I have also put in blender and put in squeeze bottle and used like a hot sauce. I always have a jar in the fridge.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I have made kimchi using this Guy Fieri recipe, and it was really delish, except it did stink up my refrigerator for days!
    He served it with braised beef short ribs and rice, which I did not make, but it does sound like it would go well with his kimchi and totally eggable.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/seoul-ful-ribs-with-rice-recipe-2102597

Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    rrp, you can cook the kimchi to tone it down. i make korean tacos with shaved beef marinated over night in a korean bolgagi recipe then wokked adding the kimchi in later and serving some raw for those that want it. drizzle with a mayo, sriracha, lime sauce and add purple cabbage, red onion, cilantro
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sure, using kimchi as an adjunct in a dish that you cook is very common.  You lose the probiotic benefits and fish is right about the flavor (tartness and heat is attenuated).  I would guess it tones it down more to an "American" palate.