Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there one Smoker BBQ book that everyone has to own? Which would it be?

I’m looking for the definitive Smoker recipe book, the one book everyone needs to own, which would that be?

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    To be clear, you're more interested in recipes and not the mechanics of smoking correct? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Rocksteady
    Rocksteady Posts: 10
    SonVolt said:
    To be clear, you're more interested in recipes and not the mechanics of smoking correct? 
    I would agree with that, I just want the best recipes that I could refer to.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang is the one that comes to mind for me.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    edited June 2021
    The "best recipes" is going to vary on the eye (palate) of the beholder.
    I'd suggest taking a look at some of forum favorite Steve Raichlen's books. These in particular:
    1 - Barbecue Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades--Bastes, Butters & Glazes, Too
    2 - BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America
    3 - Planet Barbecue!
    All are full of recipes to use, modify, inspire.

Another book I like is this:
     - Operation BBQ: 200 Smokin' Recipes from Competition Grand Champions
    It was published by Operation BBQ Relief a couple of years ago and has some good stuff in it. The section on appetizers and sides is very good.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SonVolt

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2021
    Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang is the one that comes to mind for me.  

Looks like he may have just released a new book dedicated to sides?

EDIT: Seems it may be the recipes he's already published in his previous cookbooks. 

https://www.amazon.com/Artisanal-Kitchen-Barbecue-Perfect-Cookout/dp/1579659837/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    SonVolt said:

This one has a recipe for British Kingdom Baked Beans (BKBB) that's really pretty awesome.  We use it all the time.  It just has a tang to it that's a little different, but damn is it good.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Foghorn said:

Another friend I've met through these circles gave me a XXL egg and provides me with unlimited free beef from his Wagyu/Angus cows.

😲😲😲

Would also recommend @The Cen-Tex Smoker "Best pork chop I ever ate recipe"
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 261
    Foghorn said:
    I'm not aware of a singular recipe book or collection.  There are some great ones on this and related sites if you search for them.

I have probably gotten more advice/insight and recipes from this site than any single book or web site.   Also, when someone posts a recipe, you often get comments for tweaks/variations that you would not in a book.
    Raleigh, NC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    rekameohs said:
    Foghorn said:
    I'm not aware of a singular recipe book or collection.  There are some great ones on this and related sites if you search for them.

I have probably gotten more advice/insight and recipes from this site than any single book or web site.   Also, when someone posts a recipe, you often get comments for tweaks/variations that you would not in a book.
    +1. 

Given the breadth and scope of food blogs/websites/etc. available, its hard to identify a single book as a complete resource. 

This forum, in particular, runs the gamut of all kinds of cooking techniques, styles, cuisines... you name it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    HeavyG said:
    The "best recipes" is going to vary on the eye (palate) of the beholder.
    I'd suggest taking a look at some of forum favorite Steve Raichlen's books. These in particular:
    1 - Barbecue Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades--Bastes, Butters & Glazes, Too
    2 - BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America
    3 - Planet Barbecue!
    All are full of recipes to use, modify, inspire.

Another book I like is this:
     - Operation BBQ: 200 Smokin' Recipes from Competition Grand Champions
    It was published by Operation BBQ Relief a couple of years ago and has some good stuff in it. The section on appetizers and sides is very good.

WTF do you think you're fooling?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited June 2021
    I was under the impression that Steven Raichlen was a forum pariah. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    HeavyG said:
    forum favorite Steve Raichlen
    You MUST be joking. Forum laughingstock perhaps. I wouldn't give 10¢ for a Raichlen book.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    Planet BBQ was rather decent.  A friend gave me a copy many years ago, and I liked a couple of the recipes I tried. 

That was before he started stealing pics from this forum, though. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG said:
    You MUST be joking. Forum laughingstock perhaps. I wouldn't give 10¢ for a Raichlen book.

Why not? That seems like a pretty decent price - a steal as it were!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    GregW said:
    I was under the impression that Steven Raichlen was a forum pariah. 
    He only steals from the best, so his books might be a good collection of winners.  I would only buy one Used, however.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SonVolt
    He seems like a goober. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good time to remind all to post your location at the signature line please. 
    Welcome Rocksteady to the forum. Use this as that is the reason it’s here. 
    Ps don’t buy the Big Green Egg cookbook unless it’s on a $1 countertop 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Rocksteady
    Rocksteady Posts: 10
    Foghorn said:

Car Wash Mike's ribs
    Green lightning shrimp
    Salado afterparty brisket chili
    Mickey's coffee rub for spatchcocked turkey or chicken
    Bo Ssam pulled pork
    Yukon Ron's peach pork
    etc

Thank you, these were the exact type of recipes I was looking for, the legendary stuff that always floats around, I wish these were centralized somewhere. Green lightning shrimp look phenomenal, the kind of flavour that really wows your guests and not overly complicated, plus cilantro is my favourite herb. Mike’s ribs, definitely have to try that technique, I did ribs previously with the 3-2-1 or whatever it’s called. Now that Bo Ssam pulled pork, now that looks like something so special, a welcome change from just salt and pepper, I know the kids will love it too, do you serve that in a regular hamburger bun or do you do any toppings? Or sauce for the buns? From what I see, there are several threads reposting these recipes, but is there like a centralized collection where I should be referencing that particular take on it? Thanks for everything.
  • HeavyG
    Foghorn said:

Car Wash Mike's ribs
    Green lightning shrimp
    Bo Ssam pulled pork
    Yukon Ron's peach pork
    etc

Thank you, these were the exact type of recipes I was looking for, the legendary stuff that always floats around, I wish these were centralized somewhere. Green lightning shrimp look phenomenal, the kind of flavour that really wows your guests and not overly complicated, plus cilantro is my favourite herb. Mike’s ribs, definitely have to try that technique, I did ribs previously with the 3-2-1 or whatever it’s called. Now that Bo Ssam pulled pork, now that looks like something so special, a welcome change from just salt and pepper, I know the kids will love it too, do you serve that in a regular hamburger bun or do you do any toppings? Or sauce for the buns? From what I see, there are several threads reposting these recipes, but is there like a centralized collection where I should be referencing that particular take on it? Thanks for everything.

The green lightning shrimp is a great cook and justifiably popular.
    I think this thread may be the first time it appeared on this forum (could be wrong as I didn't really do a deep dive):

WTF? It's a Steven Raichlen recipe???? That can't be right. :)

• HeavyG said:
    Now, now.... Some of us DO light our Eggs with paper.

Jokes aside, a Raichlen book was the first bbq book I owned and I often still make rubs from it. I think the disdain for Raichlen generally originates from the reports of photo use. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    HeavyG said:

Jokes aside, a Raichlen book was the first bbq book I owned and I often still make rubs from it. I think the disdain for Raichlen generally originates from the reports of photo use. 
    Can we stop this charade already.  Raichlen is Bob Ross.  Bob Ross didn’t die, he’s just fully retired his painting persona and repurposed his brushes for sauces and marinades.  The double life was wearing on him.
  • HeavyG
    Legume said:
    HeavyG said:

Can we stop this charade already.  Raichlen is Bob Ross.  Bob Ross didn’t die, he’s just fully retired his painting persona and repurposed his brushes for sauces and marinades.  The double life was wearing on him.

Sounds plausible. They do seem to have at least one thing in common - a fine  palette/palate.

• JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    I really enjoyed the Franklin book and would recommend it. The history, methods and nice recipes at the end make for a good read worth the time. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I still like Smoke and Spice by Jamison and Jamison. Great for flavoring ideas. Just ignore their recommended internal temps. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Legume said:
    HeavyG said:

Not sure about a double life for Bob Ross as this recent article indicates one was complicated enough...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • caliking
    edited June 2021
    Foghorn said:

Car Wash Mike's ribs
    Green lightning shrimp
    Bo Ssam pulled pork
    Yukon Ron's peach pork
    etc

...Now that Bo Ssam pulled pork, now that looks like something so special, a welcome change from just salt and pepper, I know the kids will love it too, do you serve that in a regular hamburger bun or do you do any toppings? Or sauce for the buns? From what I see, there are several threads reposting these recipes, but is there like a centralized collection where I should be referencing that particular take on it? Thanks for everything.
    Some of the bo swam cooks posted here (most?) are based on Momofuku’s/David Chang’s recipe :

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12197-momofukus-bo-ssam

Making the accompanying sauces is well worth the little bit of effort. 

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 261
    Botch said:
    He only steals from the best, so his books might be a good collection of winners.  I would only buy one Used, however.  
    His latest book notes support for photos from BGE, Lodge, Staub, Weber, YETI and others.

Raleigh, NC
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited June 2021
    I kinda liked the one below, I suspect it may have been written by someone here on the forum: