Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New xl egg fire ring and old conveggtor?

Options
Got a new xl egg a couple months ago and noticed with the new flat fire ring and the conveggtor legs up there is only an inch or less room between grill and drip pan plus the grill is about 2 inches below the felt line still. On my medium the legs are much longer and get the grill to felt line. Did I get an old conveggtor? Does anyone know if the CGS plans a new woo to get to the felt line?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Here are some notes direct from Ceramic Grill Store site. You will probably never find better information or service. If you have more questions shoot Tom an email at CGS.
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/xl-big-green-egg-accessories/products/xl-woo-ring-xl-big-green-egg

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Slkegger
    Slkegger Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks. I have been to the CGS website and have seen that. My issue is the new fire ring is flat and only the hight of the lower notches so its over 4 inches to felt line and the current woo is only 2.5 inches and the round stone sits so low  you can't put lump higher than the fire box to get over 300f.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Slkegger said:
    Thanks. I have been to the CGS website and have seen that. My issue is the new fire ring is flat and only the hight of the lower notches so its over 4 inches to felt line and the current woo is only 2.5 inches and the round stone sits so low  you can't put lump higher than the fire box to get over 300f.

The XL has gone through many design changes over the years.
    I would first check with your dealer and see what they have as floor model compared to yours.
    The first XL had a taller fire box and a plate setter with very short legs. There was not enough room for drip pan and radiant heat from PS would cook your food from the bottom. So they shortened the fire box and extended the legs on next generation. But it was still stumpy PS compared to other models. You might have something mismatched now. Later on they redesigned the XL dome to better match the Large Egg.
    The fire ring has changed enough times that I can’t recall all the changes.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas