Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: How's It Growin'?

dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,061
edited May 2021 in EggHead Forum
Seems to be more than a few gardeners and farmers on the forum.  A thread about the progress/results of folks labor seems interesting to me.  A couple items of note from me...
One of my tomatoes is always a Early Girl, this one may be a Easy Girl as already has some babies...
Normally I'll get two harvests from my peppers.  Last year a serrano was late for the second picking, only about half way developed when frost warnings came.  Never tried it before but I potted and took inside.  Got my peppers!  It did not overwinter well, mostly dead looking.   Trimmed it way back to only green healthy leaves, about 6" high.  Lots of new growth the past several weeks.  Curious as to what it does in year two...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Wish i was as far along as you. Frost warnings here at night for the rest of the week still
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    You missed an opportunity here to title this one "Garden: How I Grow It"  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dbCooper
    You missed an opportunity here to title this one "Garden: How I Grow It"  

Yeah, and not my first such miss.  Maybe can do better when cucumbers start producing.   🙂
    Great Plains, USA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @caliking - I had to abruptly close that pic because Mrs3969 was close enough to see it and wants that exact type of setup.  Very nice garden area you have there. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @caliking - I had to abruptly close that pic because Mrs3969 was close enough to see it and wants that exact type of setup.  Very nice garden area you have there. 
    That's been caliqueen's project for the last 14 months. I did my part by procrastinating re: building the boxes, from March until August lat year. She's got all kinds of stuff growing out there. There's a bit more on the other side of the yard, too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    My wife and I started plotting out a garden last fall. I should say my wife did. I've only helped put up a wire fence and stakes. (Still need to figure out a gate yet for it) My wife has had the itch and done tons of research and will take most of this year and chalk it up as a learning experience of what does and doesn't work.

My wife sent me this and I couldn't agree more.  =)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    put mine in monday, have a ways to go.  for the tomatoes i just do san marzanos now, seems i have almost no problems with them an 4 plants yield a years worth of sauce. most of my raised beds are hot peppers and one full of cherry tomatoes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    some things ive learned. mint grows everywhere except in the mint garden, it even grows a foot underwater in the river. horseradish is uncontrollable, dont even try. russian red garlic comes up yearly, the whole plant is edible. dont even look at the cranberries til november, they will be fine. love plants that replant themselves
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman

theres enough there to kill me 50 times over
    fukahwee maine

• alaskanassasin

This is my hanging garden. I’ve heard a lot about them and wanted to try it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Getting ready, all from last year's seeds, except marigold and Thai basil

Perennial sage, green onion, mint, oregano, thyme

Working on prepping planting beds and planters. Won't put tomatoes in the ground till 1st week in June, in case we get a late frost.

Also experimenting with self wicking planters (the wine juice buckets in 1st photo). Soil is still moist and reservoir half full after more than a week: some folks say soil should go through dry/wet cycle, being moist all the time is not necessarily a good thing,  anyone have experience in this?
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427

This is my hanging garden. I’ve heard a lot about them and wanted to try it.
    Do you get dirt in your eyes when you pull weeds?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    A really slow start here as we've had low temperatures all spring, just looking like warming up a bit now. We have the usual chillies and tomatoes growing in the greenhouse and some chard outside, which seems quite happy with the cold weather.
  • Y’all are growers; not showers.
  • dbCooper
    One jalapeno plant had a few low-hangers.  Took them off early so those at the crown can get more of the good stuff.

Great Plains, USA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Well my dad had to stop picking blueberries, no more room in the freezer for them even though plenty are on the vines. Most of the garden is starting to play out except for the hot peppers and butternut squash that I planted. As much rain as we’ve had we should have planted rice.
  • alaskanassasin

Honey I can’t till the rows, the tiller is occupied 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They have pills for this.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• We have had record rains here in West Texas. Our cucumbers are going crazy and we are having to give away zucchini we have to much.  What started out as a covid hobby, has turned into something SWMBO and I have enjoyed doing together.  We use special water to make them grow sideways. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • dbCooper
    My cukes have some very unwelcome visitors, cucumber beetles. Nasty bugs, they can wipe out entire plants in under a week due to a bacteria they can transfer to the plant stem.  Have had that happen in some past years.
    Spraying them with a insecticidal soap.  If anyone has a better method please share.  Internet pic of one of them...

Great Plains, USA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    dbCooper said:
    My cukes have some very unwelcome visitors, cucumber beetles. Nasty bugs, they can wipe out entire plants in under a week due to a bacteria they can transfer to the plant stem.  Have had that happen in some past years.
    Spraying them with a insecticidal soap.  If anyone has a better method please share.  Internet pic of one of them...

Soak 10 cigarettes in a gallon of water for 24 hours. Strain the cigarettes out. Add 2 tsps of Dawn dishwashing detergent. It will kill any bug that it hits so avoid using it when bees are at work.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Bugs don't like surfactants, so some soap in a sprayer is good. A little chilli powder or garlic mixed in works too. Never heard of using tobacco, but at the current pack price here, that's an expensive cocktail.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Eoin said:
    Bugs don't like surfactants, so some soap in a sprayer is good. A little chilli powder or garlic mixed in works too. Never heard of using tobacco, but at the current pack price here, that's an expensive cocktail.
    Nicotine is a quick acting poison, something for people to consider. The vast majority of the price is taxes meant to discourage the use. You can use the very cheapest brand, the bugs won’t care. Now some nights hades are sensitive to nicotine but not cucumbers. Anyhow it will knock flying moths right out of the air.
  • dbCooper
    Thanks for the responses.  I'll be getting some Nico/Soap/Chili potion brewed up.  Hopefully the stuff below deters them until the homebrew is ready.

Great Plains, USA