Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Garden Help

Options
poster
poster Posts: 1,172
The last 2 years my garden seems to be over run with weeds and poor crops. Did some testing this year (DIY kit) and found the soil to have a ph of 7.25 but deficient in Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus. Looking at fertilizers, would i be best with a 10-10-10 as all three levels are low? Also how long after fertilizing can i plant? This isn't a raised bed but a 34x14 garden. Should i till it in? I have never used the stuff before honestly, but am hoping to get some better results this year.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    Till once or twice, broadcast the fertilizer and then till it in. This fall cover it with a thick layer of hardwood leaves. Till them in the next spring.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    When I gardened, I also tilled the "green" matter in at the end of the season.  Some people pull all the vegetation out and discard or burn.  I tilled it all back in and it breaks down over the winter.

For weeds, I always put one layer of newspaper down and covered it with grass clippings from the yard (as long as there was no weed killer on the grass).  The grass acts to hold the moisture in and the newspaper keeps the weeds at bay.  The newspaper breaks down over the summer, and I simply tilled it in in the fall with the grass clippings and green material.

All of that and a healthy offering of miracle grow!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Broadcast and till it in is what I have always done. I'll even side-dress a row mid season.
    I pull plant matter at the end of the season. Tilling it back in can create disease issues with certain plants.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i till in some bogg peat and coastal compost with blue shell mussels and sea urchin shells, and sprinkle the fertilizer on top a few times a year after the new plants start growing, have put a little fertilizer under the plant with a little compost and soil when planting. go to a real garden center and find the guy that knows. my garden sits on a spring so its somewhat self watering and i also hit it with river water.  oven birds nesting in a cave under the chives and lavander may help, thats new this year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • poster
    Options
    thanks for all the tips.

I assumed a ph of 7.25 was so close to 7 that it wouldn't make a difference
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    poster said:
    thanks for all the tips.

I assumed a ph of 7.25 was so close to 7 that it wouldn't make a difference
    In pool water tenths make big difference.  7.4-7.6 is what you need there.  Never thought about it as it applies to growing in soil.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,655
    Options
    you have to manage the weeds. leave enough space between your rows to work a tiller through then hoe dirt the loose dirt to bury the weeds between the plants. What does your irrigation set up look like?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• poster
    Options
    you have to manage the weeds. leave enough space between your rows to work a tiller through then hoe dirt the loose dirt to bury the weeds between the plants. What does your irrigation set up look like?
    I just water in the evenings when needed. Not a lot of dry spells here and also not a lot of heat waves. July on is usually really humid here too
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,655
    Options
    Any pictures? Shady? Full sun? @ColtsFan makes a good point about side dressing, that’s what I do and water it in.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.