Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catfish

Cajun
Cajun Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got some catfish filets from Costco and gave it a go. Lemon juice on one side, lime juice on the other, and in the fridge for an hour, then Tony Chaceries (sp?) seasoning all around. Got the BGE to 300 steady, put the fish on the fish grill (after a lot of Pam on the fish grille), then onto the regular grill. The fish grille was cold so it took to dome temp down to 225 until the fish grille got up to temp.[p]Fish stuck to the grille way too much, but the fish came out tastin' pretty good.[p]Should the fish grille be brought up to temp before the fish goes onto it?????[p]Comments appreciated[p]Also did lamb roast, fillets, and venison over the Easter weekend. As the man says "life is gooooood"

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cajun,
    Yeas. the grill should be very hot when the fish is applied. I like 400 or so for temps. It seems to release itself better that way. I like a good steady stabilized fire and a hot egg. It will stick occasionally in places, but if you gently jiggle the spatula in you can usually get it flipped in one good piece. I have been playing with this superwide fish spatula my wife picked up for me. Works great, and is about 8 or 10 inches wide and is curved to allow you to slip in under easily. Brushing the fish with oil helps also...but a hot grill is critical.[p]Your lamb and venison sounds great. [p]seeya
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cajun,[p]You might want to try Reynolds Grill Buddy foil sheets for cooking fish. They are individual sheets of very heavy foil with holes in it to allow the smoke to come through. I always use them when I am cooking fish. I coat them with olive oil spray and heat on the grill before adding the fish. The nice thing about them is that you can pull the fish off the grill onto a plate, still on the foil. Taking the fish off the foil in the kitchen is a snap. The other benefit is a clean grill when you are done.

• Redneck
    Redneck Posts: 20
    Cajun,[p]Try this for a change of pace. I "learned" this while living in Alexandria(Rapids Parish)LA.[p]First drag filets through Zatarans liquid crab boil(If your Cajun no instructions needed).[p]Carful with this as dwell time equals heat.[p]Next
    Mix Italian Bread crumbs with equal parts of grated Parmasian Cheese and Mix tgether in a ziplock or brown paper bag and shake. Insert fish one filet at a time and shake until coated.[p]After first two steps spray both sides of the filets with Pam or cooking oil and place on a grilling pan. I agree the foil does work well.[p]Cook as usual on BGE.[p]Laissez les bons temps rouler...

• Cajun
    Nature boy,[p]Kool, thanks for the input. These are things I will try[p]Thanks again
    Cajun

• Cajun
    Mardi,[p]Thanks for the reply. I will have to try the foil thang here shortly.[p]Thanks again
    Cajun

• Cajun
    Redneck,[p]Just how red be your redneck, Redneck??? I know very well where Alexandria is, but dat ain't Cajun Country. Ize borned and raised in Lafayette area, a tad south of Alexandria.[p]Thanks for the info on the filets. I will definately try this and the other suggestions. Those catfish and other fish are toooooo good on the BGE to pass up more tries at it. They were still very good though.[p]Thanks again
    Cajun (a real one)

• Redneck
    Redneck Posts: 20
    Cajun,[p]Have you ever smoked Mullet or Flounder on the BGE. I am getting ready to go through the castnet this weekend. [p]Nothin' better than Biloxi Bacon.[p]Redneck