Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Piecing together an XL. Looking for parts, located in Edmonton Alberta Canada

2»

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Did that last July...Did you have to bend the shelf arms like mine?
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1225126/large-egg-mates-for-xl-nest
    canuckland
  • Did that last July...Did you have to bend the shelf arms like mine?
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1225126/large-egg-mates-for-xl-nest
    Ah it was probably your post I saw a few weeks ago that made me go with the large shelves! 

Fortunately for me I didn't need to bend the shelf arms

• Srpete01
    Srpete01 Posts: 28
    Looks Great! I am also doing the same thing on an XL but I'm down in the States. Buddy had a small crack in a base and I've been putting together parts over the last few months to make a low and slow rib cooker for big parties.

Similar to your original situation, I still need the firebox, hinge, thermometer, and cooking grate. Its been a fun quest although my wife is annoyed with me scouring facebook marketplace and craigslist every night!

• Therealshaq
    Therealshaq Posts: 21
    Srpete01 said:
    Its been a fun quest although my wife is annoyed with me scouring facebook marketplace and craigslist every night!

This part made me chuckle. My wife hasn't publicly complained to me about my late night kiji/facebook marketplace bge obsession yet but I'm sure it's coming. 
  • Therealshaq
    Therealshaq Posts: 21
    Srpete01 said:
    Looks Great! I am also doing the same thing on an XL but I'm down in the States. Buddy had a small crack in a base and I've been putting together parts over the last few months to make a low and slow rib cooker for big parties.

Similar to your original situation, I still need the firebox, hinge, thermometer, and cooking grate. Its been a fun quest although my wife is annoyed with me scouring facebook marketplace and craigslist every night!

Do you mind sharing your journey on how you've procured each part?
  • Srpete01
    Srpete01 Posts: 28
    Sure. It started about three years ago when the guy who convinced me to buy my large (pictured left) converted me from a gasser to an egger. The same guy had the base of his XL egg get a hairline crack and he was going to throw it out. I offered to buy him lunch if he just gave it to me instead. I held onto it for two years (this spring) at which point my wife heckled me to get rid of it. That kicked me into high gear at which point I got the following:

1. I found a guy on facebook marketplace selling a nest. When I showed up he had cracked sidemates he was throwing away and a spare daisy wheel. I had already agreed on $30 for the nest and he threw the side tables and daisy wheel in for free (guy was awesome- former Sailor and just a cool dude)

1a. Same guy from above said he was swapping out his band/hinge assembly. He told me when he switches it in a few week its mine for only $20.

2. I put out an ad on craigstlist looking for spare XL parts. A guy got back to me with a dome and fire ring. I got them for $100. Fire ring was cracked but the dome is pretty damn good. Higher than I wanted to pay but I went for it.

I had a guy lined up to give me a firebox for $30 when I went for vacation in South Carolina but he wouldn't answer on the day we had arranged to pick it up. Still looking for that.

In total I'm still searching for the Firebox, charcoal grate, cooking grate and I'm thinking about buying a woo instead of the deflector plate.

Picture of the old side tables and the new ones I made using the old hardware below