Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stalled cook

Options
Was working pulled pork last weekend, and I was trying to get it up to 200 degrees.  I had the Egg dialed in at 275, everything went to plan for the first four hours, to 160, I wrapped the meat in foil for the final mile.  Once the butt reached 194 degrees, it completely stalled.  I kept the Egg at 275 and left the pork on for another 45 minutes, but it wouldn't move past 194, so I took it off, fearing it would dry out if I left it too long.  Ultimately, the pork turned out fantastic, but I've never had it stall like that.  Possible causes?
Maitland, FL
XL BGE since 2019

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Have you calibrated the thermometer you were using to measure the egg temp?
    New Orleans LA
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Possible causes- 
    Your thermo wasn’t calibrated and the cook temp dipped. Probably the most likely scenario.

45 mins isn’t a super long time for the temp not to move, but it could’ve been a bit of a 2nd stall. It’s not common with pork in my experience, but certainly possible. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    How was it probing at 194 degrees?
    Stillwater, MN
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    Have you calibrated the thermometer you were using to measure the egg temp?
    I was using two thermometers, and they were in agreement, so while I haven't calibrated in a while, the Egg thermo and the grid probe matched. 

How was it probing at 194 degrees?
    How was the pork at 194? Yummy and delicious. 

Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019