Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect Crispy Skin

Options
I've been having trouble getting the perfect crispy skin on my whole chickens lately.  The trouble is not that my skin is rubbery, but rather, it always gets charred.  I've tried temperatures ranging from 325 to 450, I've tried elevating the grid, I leave the bird uncovered overnight in the fridge, I've tried minimizing the time the bird is skin side down (I'm a spatchcocker). Last four birds in a row have ended up with charred, burnt skin. Anyone out there have any tips to get the skin crisp, but not singed?
Maitland, FL
XL BGE since 2019

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    No need to flip on spatchcock. Skin up and high in the dome around 400-450. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Sugar in the rub?

if the temps are not high, and you are roasting indirect, blackening is often due to sugar
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    ^^^ Good point

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @briwald Same as above 400-425 high in the dome spatchcock skin side up.  Pull at 155 or so perfect crisp skin every time.  I frequently use Dizzy Pig and it has sugar but no problems with skin side up.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Sugar in the rub?

if the temps are not high, and you are roasting indirect, blackening is often due to sugar
    As a matter of fact, there is brown sugar in the rub, and I really like the flavor of the rub, so I've used it ummm...the last four times! Thank you for the insight. I will try again with the no flip advice. 
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    Options
    No need to flip on spatchcock. Skin up and high in the dome around 400-450. 
    this is the way.

and yes check sugar in the rub -- and if that's not it, make sure your temp gauge is properly calibrated
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    As others have said, no flip and raised direct is the way. I do mine at 400.