Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza-Porta Shout Out

Options
I met Cortlandt and his team at the Eggfest last weekend. Super good guy with a great product! My kit should be delivered shortly. I’m looking forward to dabbling with pizza recipes. Any ideas or advice for the first run?

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    no offense meant here in any way.  I would return it and buy an Ooni or a roccbox.  Pizza is so much better when cooked in a purpose built oven, the egg is not one.  You will still be trying to overcome an incredible bottom heat imbalance cooking in the pizza porta.  Keeping the Ooni or roccbox fueled for hours is an easy feat, especially with the gas varieties.  The pizza porta cook means you are on a timer, you are headed for heat variability and a time when you must disassemble and refuel.  My Ooni koda 16 cooks incredible pizzas, and is so easy to manage.  I have an Ooni pro multi fuel for times that I think wood is the better option.

For dough, I use the pizza app, or the Ooni app.  Both make dough easy to make as they compute the baker percentages and weights of ingredients for you.  My current method is 67% hydration with 1% oil using bread flour local to me.  I am kind of in a NY pizza phase right now.

Again, just my opinions here, but I thought I would share them since you haven't used it and could still change your mind.  Good luck and enjoy your selection.
  • attaboy
    attaboy Posts: 30
    Options
    no offense meant here in any way.  I would return it and buy an Ooni or a roccbox.  Pizza is so much better when cooked in a purpose built oven, the egg is not one.  You will still be trying to overcome an incredible bottom heat imbalance cooking in the pizza porta.  Keeping the Ooni or roccbox fueled for hours is an easy feat, especially with the gas varieties.  The pizza porta cook means you are on a timer, you are headed for heat variability and a time when you must disassemble and refuel.  My Ooni koda 16 cooks incredible pizzas, and is so easy to manage.  I have an Ooni pro multi fuel for times that I think wood is the better option.

For dough, I use the pizza app, or the Ooni app.  Both make dough easy to make as they compute the baker percentages and weights of ingredients for you.  My current method is 67% hydration with 1% oil using bread flour local to me.  I am kind of in a NY pizza phase right now.

Again, just my opinions here, but I thought I would share them since you haven't used it and could still change your mind.  Good luck and enjoy your selection.
    Rained on my parade......haha! My wife bought it for me for our 15th wedding anniversary. I believe I’ll just hang on to it.

I appreciate the feedback.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing some awesome pies @attaboy it seems like people who have the pizza porta really like it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    I agree with cookingdude's opinion above, but if you have the Porta and intend to keep it, I'm also pretty sure you can use it to make great pizza.

I haven't used it myself, but I did speak to their people at length at a festival as well.  I've also cooked a fair amount of pizza on a dedicated pizza oven.

My advice is to use this in temperature ranges between 500F and 700F.  I wouldn't go much higher than that with the Porta, because all you're doing is just burning through lump.  I believe the Porta people themselves don't go much above 700F.  And you can make great pizza at these temperatures.

The other thing is to pick up a copy of Ken Forkish's book titled the Elements of Pizza.  It is an excellent book that will raise your pizza dough game considerably.  

Lastly, have fun!  Home-made pizza is so much more fun than take-out.  Enjoy!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Is this the same thing they make for the Weber kettle?
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    There are definitely some folks quick to do wet blanket posts about the pizza porta. A lot of the gas fueled hot box enthusiasts post some good pies and also some pies with black burnt crusts.  Make your own joy — the pizza porta works fine as evidenced by eggfests all over the place. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    There are definitely some folks quick to do wet blanket posts about the pizza porta. A lot of the gas fueled hot box enthusiasts post some good pies and also some pies with black burnt crusts.  Make your own joy — the pizza porta works fine as evidenced by eggfests all over the place. 
     I'm stealing this. Well said. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    caliking said:
     I'm stealing this. Well said. 
    My wife says this to me all the time.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    attaboy said:

Rained on my parade......haha! My wife bought it for me for our 15th wedding anniversary. I believe I’ll just hang on to it.

Ah man, I’m a dipshit. Sorry my friend. I’d keep it too in that situation. I feel so bad that I think I’m gonna buy one too. 
  • attaboy
    Options
    I agree with cookingdude's opinion above, but if you have the Porta and intend to keep it, I'm also pretty sure you can use it to make great pizza.

I haven't used it myself, but I did speak to their people at length at a festival as well.  I've also cooked a fair amount of pizza on a dedicated pizza oven.

My advice is to use this in temperature ranges between 500F and 700F.  I wouldn't go much higher than that with the Porta, because all you're doing is just burning through lump.  I believe the Porta people themselves don't go much above 700F.  And you can make great pizza at these temperatures.

The other thing is to pick up a copy of Ken Forkish's book titled the Elements of Pizza.  It is an excellent book that will raise your pizza dough game considerably.  

Lastly, have fun!  Home-made pizza is so much more fun than take-out.  Enjoy!
    Thank You. I’ll definitely use your advice and pick up that book. 

We’ve got 2 daughters (10 and 7) having fun while making good pizzas is the whole idea. I think we’ll be able to check that box. 

I appreciate everyone’s feedback!
  • attaboy
    Options
    attaboy said:

Ah man, I’m a dipshit. Sorry my friend. I’d keep it too in that situation. I feel so bad that I think I’m gonna buy one too. 
    Not a problem at all. 13+ years in the fire service has thickened my skin......I appreciate your humor!
  • attaboy
    Options
    I believe we’ll make the best out of it. Looking forward to getting back home to unbox and check it out. Your response is appreciated.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    I’ll 2nd @JohnInCarolina when it comes to The Forkish book. Changed my pizza making life and upped my dough game immeasurably. Even the quick same day dough recipes come out fantastic. 
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Options
    Elements of Pizza is $2.99 on Kindle right now FYI
    Austin, TX
  • attaboy
    Options
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Congrats on the new toy. Pretty soon you’ll be buying flour in large bags and portioning with a FoodSaver. 

Also, look in to the King Arthur Pizza Dough Flavor seasoning. Might not be traditional, but damn it tastes good. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I will rain on attaboy's parade.  I - and many others - have been cooking great pies on the Egg for years.  I use just a pizza stone and the platesetter.  Great crusts, they turn out excellent. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • attaboy
    Options
    DonWW said:
    Just my opinion, but I will rain on attaboy's parade.  I - and many others - have been cooking great pies on the Egg for years.  I use just a pizza stone and the platesetter.  Great crusts, they turn out excellent. 
    Thank you sir, greatly appreciated!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    CTMike said:

Never heard of this before. Do you add it to the dough? Or sprinkle on top, then add toppings and cook? Can you describe the taste?

sorry, lots of questions. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:

Never heard of this before. Do you add it to the dough? Or sprinkle on top, then add toppings and cook? Can you describe the taste?

sorry, lots of questions. 
    Here are the ingredients, might be able to replicate with just the cheese and garlic powder without all the excess. I think it adds a great flavor to pizza dough. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    Never heard of the Pizza-Porta, and definitely looking forward to seeing some of your cooks on it!  Very cool gift, hopefully you got your wife something equally thoughtfull!  I got my wife a vacuum once, that was not a good gift.  15 years later, I am still paying for it.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options

I got my wife a vacuum once, that was not a good gift.  15 years later, I am still paying for it.

Dyson?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options

I got my wife a vacuum once, that was not a good gift.  15 years later, I am still paying for it.

Dyson?
    I wish.  It was a Hoover or Red Devil.  I assumed a vacuum was a vacuum.  A $35 surely was not that much worse than a $300 vacuum.  Boy, was I wrong.  In my defense, we barely had two nickels to rub together.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GEAUX_CRNA
    GEAUX_CRNA Posts: 6
    Options
    I too purchased a pizza-porta at the egg fest. Love the thing.  Just on my first attempt I did six wonderful pizzas in 45min. Seriously this is an egg forum don’t let them rain in your parade. I guess I’m sort of primal and prefer lump over propane. Seriously this is an egg forum. 
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Options
    DonWW said:
    I'm not raining on any parades, but I too use the pizza stone/platesetter.  Making pizza on the egg was wonderful, but then my wife and daughter developed gluten sensitivities, which definitely rained on the pizza parade.  Recently, I invested in this book, and we are back in the pizza game.  So if you're gluten free, it doesn't mean you can't have fantastic pies.  
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    …We’ve got 2 daughters (10 and 7) having fun while making good pizzas is the whole idea. I think we’ll be able to check that box. 
    +1 on this. I started making pizzas on the Egg w/my daughters at about those same ages. They, and their friends, always loved it. When they come home from college now one of the first things they want to do is make pizzas. The pizzas are good but the time spent together and memories made are what it’s all about IMHO. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    The door on the pizza porta is also good for letting more kids / family / helpers make pies. Similar to the countertop gas things. I have made good pizzas without it just like everybody but opening and burping the egg lid at 600 is a lot different than opening the pizza porta front door and using a peel.  
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @CTMike A couple of pizza joints around here have a yellow dough.  I’ve always been told that it was egg dough but after a bit of research it turns out that most of them are saying that there aren’t any eggs in their dough.  After reading the ingredients list on the KA Pizza dough flavor, I had an idea… Kraft Dinner powder.  I am pretty sure that it is their secret ingredient.  They probably just use generic powdered cheddar cheese.  I’ve been wanting to try the KA powder ever since I’ve first read about it… when the border closed.  It is on my checklist of things to order as soon as the border reopens!

@GrateEggspectations that’s the secret ingredient from the yellow dough discussion 🤣😂