Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket...I’m confused

I picked up a big ol’ piece of “Brisket” a few months ago and chucked it into the freezer for better days. I’ve never even eaten brisket before but seeing how popular it seems to be I thought I’d give it a try on a special occasion since it is rarely sold in our area.
I realized weeks later that I had only purchased a “Brisket Point Boneless”.
I reached out to @lousubcap for advice as I had read many complimentary comments on how he loves to give brisket tips and nobody was wrong. Frank was very gracious and super informative and I want to thank him publicly. Awesome dude!
The reason for my confusion:
the label says “Brisket Point Boneless” but I think it looks like a packer after watching the video I was sent.
Any advice is welcome.
I didn’t want to keep bothering Frank with newbie questions. 
My plan is to trim the fat tonight, rub with s&p, wrap in plastic and set in the fridge. Was thinking of putting on the LBGE Friday night around midnight so would be ready around 1300-1500 hrs on Saturday. Rest til dinner time. 
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I’m not a brisket master by any means, but your plan to prep tonight is sound. Follow Frank’s advice and as he says “the cow drives the friggin cook!”
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited May 2021
    No worries here about any bother-always glad to help in whatever capacity.
    That definitely is a packer but on the small side given the weight.  Treat it accordingly regardless of the label.  There is a fair amount of hard fat to remove.
    Given the length, lay it over a brick or inverted rib rack to ensure all parts are clear of the direct heat until shrinkage takes over.  
    I suspect the post-trim weight  will be in the low- mid 3 kg range so factor that into your timing.  
    Above all, have fun with the audibles that will come your way.  
    Many here will gladly offer advice throughout the adventure.  
    Edit: upon further review you may want to weigh that brisket as given the pics it looks like more than 4.17 kg to me.  But I am peering thru the fog of evening and a few adult cocktails.  FWIW-  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Agreed with cap. Definitely a packer brisket and unless that is a medium egg, that brisket seems more in the 6-8kg range to me 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392

Trimmed up and ready for a rest.
  • Greetings-

Great thread, hope you continue to update with progress! I am still working up the nerve to give a brisket a shot, not very confident in my low and slow skills.

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    @ChrisgrillsSTLMO, is there something in particular that you are struggling with?

Maybe start with a cheaper cut of meat to practice.  You can practice your low and slow on a $9 rack of ribs that you can finish in the oven rather than practicing on a $50 brisket.  Even a pork butt is pretty cheap in comparison, and hard to screw up.

Everyone here is willing to help!  You can be confident by Memorial Day if you start this weekend!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    lousubcap said:
    post-trim weight  will be in the low- mid 3 kg range so factor that into your timing.  
    Until I read this I didnt realize it was CAD and Kg.  I was thinking WOW thats expensive brisket.

Good luck on your cook
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Looks like your on your way. I like it so far.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• That's a nice trim job for your first one. Only advice I would give is to round off the corners a little next time (we are really getting picky here). All the hard corners will get crispy plus when you round them off it just looks cool. :) Following along.
  • lousubcap
    For those looking for brisket motivation, National Brisket Day is Friday May 28th.  Plan ahead and celebrate.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • keener75
    So to continue the journey...LBGE is lit and things are happening. The June bugs are out early this year...man are they dumb!
    Brisket went on at 0030 and I will monitor for at least an hour. Then I’m going to bed and hoping for the best. 
    Alarm is set for 0830. Wish me luck!
  • lousubcap
    Too late for the first part of the cook but when you check on it, you may want to foil protect the thin part of the flat to slow the cook rate and keep it from drying out.  FWIW-
  • keener75
    Morning update...things are looking good!
    Probing at 173 and I’m debating whether to wrap in foil are not. Time is not an issue as we are looking to eat around 7 hours from now.
    I’m impressed how the egg held the temp @ 250 dome temp all night and still going strong.
    it smells damn good too!
  • I usually wrap when they look like that so the bark does not get too crusty. Looks awesome by the way.  My first (20) did not look anything like that
  • Just know that when you do wrap it will speed up the rest of the cook 2x or more. It will push through the stall and rise to temp pretty quickly so keep an eye on temps when/if you decide to wrap. 

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Looking great. Any reason why you foiled the roast rack? Seems like it would prevent some smoke penetration.  I just throw a large piece of wood chunk under the brisket to prevent pooling to aid bark production 

It's a little late now, but mist important thing imo is just pay attention to the dome temp and don't let it get away on you.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Well????
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Did the meat coma consume him???  I hear that happens from time to time 
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • bella21
    bella21 Posts: 45
    Aw, it looked to beautiful to pull it before it was done. You had two hours to go, I would have left it on and bumped up the temp to 300 to finish it. Unless it was wagyu, it’s not gonna be done at 190. I’ve never had one finish before 200. They’ll say forget temp and go by feel, but it’s not gonna feel right until it’s 200ish. 
  • lousubcap
    Any time you get rave reviews, you did well.  Congrats.
    I'm a bit surprised by the protracted duration of the cook.  You may want to check the calibration of your thermos just for ease of mind.
    BTW- the probing is for the feel, the temp is only a guide.  Fortunately it sounds like the FTC gave you enough carryover to get to the promised land.  
    I would have taken that result hands-down, especially right out of the gate.  
    Until the next one! 
  • lousubcap
    Way to take the plunge.  The smaller cuts are a whole lot less forgiving in that the finish window is quite narrow.  You did it proud.  Great outcome for the first go 'round.  Time to schedule the next one  B)