Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy Cow Rub vs S&P for Brisket

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
I just picked up a bottle of Meat Church Holy Cow. Normally I just use S&P for brisket.
Tonight I will be smoking a  11.5 lb SRF Black Brisket. For those of you that have used both which do you prefer?

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I like holy cow a lot. That's what I use till I run out then S&P is my backup. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    I really like Holy Cow but S&P is better on a brisket. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • dstearn
    Options
    I may give Holy Cow a try.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Holy Cow is 75-80% S&P with a few other spices and paprika for color. I usually use my rub for brisket becasue I have it lying around in bulk but do enjoy using Holy Cow on occasion- usually on burgers. can’t go wrong for flavors but at $20-$30lb for a rub that is salt and pepper heavy, you are probably better off using S&P for things like brisket and use the commercial stuff for the more interesting flavors. My favorite commercial rubs are (in no particular order): 

Meat Church Holy Voodoo (chicken, veggies, eggs, potatoes)
    DizzyPig Tsunami Spin (chicken)
    Oak Ridge Game Bird (chicken)
    Dizzy Pig Mole (chicken tacos!) 
    Oak Ridge Habanero Death Dust (wings and in salsa) 
    Meat Church Honey Hog (wings) 
    Oak Ridge Chile Lime (wings) 

honorable mention to Dizzy Pig Bombay Curry-ish (chicken, veggies) 

these all have ingredients I don’t have just lying around the house (other than curry-ish. We make a lot of masala and grind our own 90+% of the time). 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Holy Cow is 75-80% S&P with a few other spices and paprika for color. I usually use my rub for brisket becasue I have it lying around in bulk but do enjoy using Holy Cow on occasion- usually on burgers. can’t go wrong for flavors but at $20-$30lb for a rub that is salt and pepper heavy, you are probably better off using S&P for things like brisket and use the commercial stuff for the more interesting flavors. My favorite commercial rubs are (in no particular order): 

Meat Church Holy Voodoo (chicken, veggies, eggs, potatoes)
    DizzyPig Tsunami Spin (chicken)
    Oak Ridge Game Bird (chicken)
    Dizzy Pig Mole (chicken tacos!) 
    Oak Ridge Habanero Death Dust (wings and in salsa) 
    Meat Church Honey Hog (wings) 
    Oak Ridge Chile Lime (wings) 

honorable mention to Dizzy Pig Bombay Curry-ish (chicken, veggies) 

these all have ingredients I don’t have just lying around the house (other than curry-ish. We make a lot of masala and grind our own 90+% of the time). 

Great list!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dstearn
    Options
    I decided to use S&P. Will try the Holy Cow on next Brisket cook.

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    I’ve used S&P with a little Holy Cow mixed in. No appreciable difference in results but it makes me feel like a boss. Have done the same with Montreal — just like to mix it up a bit, even if there’s not a real rhyme or reason. Could be the late-onset adhd, but it makes me happy. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .