Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect Bird

Painter
Painter Posts: 464
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm never one to brag , but I just took off the egg the best looking turkey yet. Something to be said of leaving in fridge overnight after brining, to dry skin. Like Char-Woody said,rub with olive oil, upper rack on egg over drip pan, indirect and it has the most beautiful looking golden brown skin. I
don't eat the skin (watch what fat & calories I can) but it makes for nice presentation at the table. I played with polder probe and was suprised at the difference of 60 degrees between the daisy wheel temp and stardard dome temp in side of factory dome hole. Used probe in both the openings to get honest readings. Happy Easter to all
Painter

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Painter,
    Is it possible that you are getting a false reading from the daisy wheel? The actual temperature of the metal may be enough to throw the thermometer reading off by sixty degrees.[p]Just a thought,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    RhumAndJerk, Anythings possible I guess but I used both the BGE dome in both locations and the polder also. I made sure the tips of both probes were't touching metal, dome,or bird. Only thing that could possibly make a differece was maybe because the turkey sat so high because of second grid that any heat escaping the upper vent was concentrated to a smaller area to be monitored. Never checked on any other cooks, but I will just to see if it was the way the food was situated on egg.