Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which size Yeti or RTIC for Faux Cambro

dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
I am looking at Yeti and RTIC to use as a Faux Cambro and Cooler. Would the 45 be large enough to hold a brisket that is 12-16 lbs before smoking?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited May 2021
    Don't feel that you need a Yeti or RTIC to hold temps. You should have no problem holding a brisket 6+ hours in a normal cooler using the FTC method.

Unless you're going to use the cooler elsewhere. I have the RTIC 65 and wish it was bigger for certain things. If I was going with one cooler I'd go 65. Just my two cents. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dstearn
    WeberWho said:
    Don't feel that you need a Yeti or RTIC to hold temps. You should have no problem holding a brisket 6+ hours in a normal cooler using the FTC method.

Unless you're going to use the cooler elsewhere. I have the RTIC 65 and wish it was bigger for certain things. If I was going with one cooler I'd go 65. Just my two cents. 
    The top to our Igloo cooler is broke. So that is why I am
    looking for a new one. Just want to see if the length of the 45 would be long enough.
  • WeberWho

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    rtic 45 is 19.375 inches and the yeti is an inch smaller. a 16 pounder will squish into either one of those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    If you are only using it for briskets don't waste your money on a yeti. Get a RTIC 45. It will easily hold that size. Or better yet go get the Walmart yeti knockoff. It's even cheaper than the RTIC and for that purpose will work just as well. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    I have the yeti tundra, which i believe has a 45 can capacity. I have used it for FTC on plenty of briskets and never had an issue.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    The Ozark trail ones at Wally world work great as well.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    If it is strictly gonna be for FTC, get another Igloo.  Use an additional HDAF wrap and you will be in great shape.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn
    lousubcap said:
    If it is strictly gonna be for FTC, get another Igloo.  Use an additional HDAF wrap and you will be in great shape.  FWIW-
    It’s going to be for both so I think the 45 will do double duty.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    I use on old Igloo 95% of the time for FTC- cant tell you how many times i have replaced the latch and hinges on that cooler.  Even if all that was broken Id still use it and just the closed lid would be fine.

I have used my RTIC 20 to Store a cooked, vac sealed and cooled brisket then when I got to where I needed it days later I used the Sous Vide to bring back up to temp.  Generally I wouldnt use my Roto coolers for FTC as I dont want them to smell like BBQ when I am using it for cooler purposes.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    A good cambro will have an air-tight seal.  Anything over 30 quarts with gasket should work fine.
    I bought one of these last Christmas on sale for $99. Used it several times, on and off the beach. Not a Yeti, but works like a charm for beer or resting meats. Mine has a great seal.

https://www.campingworld.com/o'brien-sub-z-48-quart-cooler-734964.html
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,249
    edited May 2021
    I bought a Tundra 45 and Roadie 20. Combined, they give me the total capacity of a bigger cooler but also afford me the versatility to use just one, or to use them in tandem for different purposes (e.g., one for food and one for drinks when camping). Have also got a Hopper 30 but I actually wish I had the smaller 20 instead. I have used all three for FTC at some point.
  • SmokeGirl
    SmokeGirl Posts: 22
    edited May 2021
    just don’t dump your crawfish boil into your new white Yeti. I did that 5 years ago and it’s still stained orange and on some days, smells like seafood. Ugh!
    Large BGE 2017,  a Genesis Webber gasser, and dreaming of a MiniMax 

Central Ohio and PTC, Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SmokeGirl said:
    just don’t dump your crawfish boil into your new white Yeti. I did that 5 years ago and it’s still stained orange and on some days, smells like seafood. Ugh!

Huh.  Probably good advice.  I don't have a Yeti but I haven't had any stains from boiled crawfish in my non-Yeti coolers.

I did forget about some raw shrimp once and that cooler still stinks 3 years later.  I'm a chemist and I tried *everything*.   I'm guessing at this point it's in the seal.