Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen help needed

Options
DainW
DainW Posts: 159
Okay so finishing up the outdoor kitchen tomorrow. The plan is to have a concrete shelf in this corner area that the egg is going to sit on. I have two questions:

1. Is the big green egg okay to sit directly on the concrete shelf or do I need to put something under it for air flow? I’ve seen “feet” that are sold and have also seen people mention pavers being used. 

2. Is the egg top heavy? It’s in a nest now, but when I take it out of the nest, could opening the lid  cause it to tip backwards? Do I need to brick in the back wall? 

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I would air gap the egg. I inquired with the mothership and they told me their was no warranty issue setting it on a solid surface. I set mine on 2” thick Limestone though and the heat cracked the limestone. After that I air gapped the egg and have had no more issues. 
    To your second question - the egg will not turn over when you open the lid. You’re fine there. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DainW
    Options
    Okay thanks for the comment. Think I will do pavers and then terra cotta pot risers to give it an air gap 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I did something very similar. Pay the $30 and get the table nest. It's worth it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DainW
    Options
    I did something very similar. Pay the $30 and get the table nest. It's worth it.

Man that looks really good. I saw the table nest but was confused because it said it’s not to be used in a freestanding situation.every picture I saw with the table nest the counter was kind of built around the egg providing support. I assume your set up as suited you fine though and it looks great. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    DainW said:

Man that looks really good. I saw the table nest but was confused because it said it’s not to be used in a freestanding situation.every picture I saw with the table nest the counter was kind of built around the egg providing support. I assume your set up as suited you fine though and it looks great. 
    It's just as sturdy as the regular nest. You don't need anything around it to support it. Plus I think it looks better than a paver but that's just personal preference.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Use angle iron.  Put angle iron across the span.  grind a slit for it to sit down in then put the shelf on it.  Use the table nest to raise the egg off the cement need the air gap under it  The cement span needs support.  TRUST ME.....
    Columbus, Ohio