Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What ya gonna do with all that leftover brisket?

Despite being a long time Egg owner I’ve still not done a brisket. But that time needs to come. 

What do you do with all the leftovers from a 6kg flat? I imagine it doesn’t reheat to the same standard as when it’s fresh? 

And can you make burnt ends from a cooked, cold point the next day?

Comments

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    When the time comes @lousubcap has a great brisket guide. As for leftovers we’ve made alder smoked brisket chilli a few times using this recipe:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2020/10/01/alder-smoked-brisket-chilli/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Brisket tacos, nachos/totchos are amazing. Chopped beef sammiches. Possibilities are endless 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Vacuum pack it and stow it in the freezer. Brisket chili!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I sometimes enjoy it more as leftovers than I do on the original cook.  Pull/chop it and save it in aliquots that would be good for one meal for your household.  The key is reheating it gently and keeping it moist in the process.  Some us sous vide.  I often use the microwave - running it on 30-40% power and adding a moist paper towel to the bag of meat.  It slowly steams it to temp that way.   Brisket nachos are the bomb.  Brisket on pizza (with red onions and about 1/3 of your tomato sauce replaced by BBQ sauce) is as good as pizza gets.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Pasa sauce. Make a big batch, and freeze it in meal size portions for the fam. Makes for a quick dinner. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Brisket in ABT's with a spicy cheese wins every time.  I will PM you my notes on brisket.  You will have to do the unit conversions to metric and Centigrade  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Thanks everyone. That’s much appreciated. I’m gonna do it. Ridiculous that I haven’t already having owned the BGE for about 6yrs
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I'm one of those types that likes leftovers.  I'll usually get two family dinners spaced out over the week with BBQ sandwiches.  I eat the rest at lunch through out the week with rice and veggies.
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Do you slice leftovers while still warm, then store and reheat the slices? Or store it as a joint then slice it cold to reheat?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Vac seal and reheat sous vide is excellent. Brisket tacos, empanadas, chili, sliders...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    TheToast said:
    Do you slice leftovers while still warm, then store and reheat the slices? Or store it as a joint then slice it cold to reheat?
    I always store joint then slice and reheat.  I use @Foghorn's microwave method and it never disappoints unless I hosed up the initial offering.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Nachos and tacos are my go to for leftover bbq.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Try a brisket grilled cheese sandwich.
    Try brisket hash.

+1 on the nachos
    +1 on brisket sandwiches

Mountain View, CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Fiatas
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I'm sous vide reheating some leftover brisket as we speak.  Leftover from a competition - cooked by a Traeger sponsored pro who is a friend of mine.   We've been looking forward to it but were probably just going to "eat it".  Now thanks to this thread, we've decided to make brisket grilled cheese sandwiches.

Thank you @dmourati and @TheToast.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Foghorn Yes! Brisket pizza! For sure 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741

This is good timing and I’ll second those above who suggested brisket chili. It was a cool weekend up here so I thawed about two pounds of frozen brisket chunks and made a batch (on the stove) that hit the spot.
    Stillwater, MN
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited April 2021
    Fricassée!

I do it with short ribs but any beef will do and I’ve done it with brisket before.  The smoke is an upgrade from my childhood memories.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1227595/fricassee-with-leftover-short-ribs

tipsy texan sandwich!
    Boom
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Chili, French dip, pizzas. So many great options!

Edina, MN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    All good suggestions above.... I’ll add loaded baked potato with brisket.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Actually, reheat in the microwave for about 10 to 15 seconds, you'll be surprised how juicy they turn out.

But for sure, my go to for leftover beef is fajitas.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    edited April 2021
    TheToast said:
    I live alone, so my brisket leftovers in the freezer are marked by year.  I usually cut a flat into quarters, freeze three of them, and then slice the last quarter into enough slices per a meal for one (reheating either by steaming or microwaving, depending on how ambitious I am).  

I got my email newsletter from Texas Monthly this afternoon, and there's a truck there that does these:
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/austin-trailer-gaining-customers-notoriety-brisket-crunchwrap/?utm_source=Texas+Monthly&utm_campaign=b6ec33ba09-BBQ+4-30-21&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_92f99d7313-b6ec33ba09-54298627

The description (not quite a recipe) is a ways down in the article; I'll see if I can use my last "free" monthly site visit (hey, it's the 30th!) to grab the image; it looks easy enough to figure out how to make one.   

EDIT:  Yes!  

I think this is modeled after something Taco Bell makes; I've never had one, but one filled with leftover brisket would make me happy.   :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lousubcap
    @Botch- I subscribe to the Texas Monthly as well.  Have not gotten past the email headline but the whole deal is a great value for $1/month in a 36 month buy.  See ya tonight!