Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck Breast Pastrami

Options
I have a pre-corned magnet duck breast that I want to use to make pastrami and then reubens. Couldn’t find anything quite like I want to do on here so looking for feedback. It’s frozen so I was thinking about sous viding for a few hours at 130 and then doing a traditional pastrami rub and smoking it with maple at a low temp for another couple hours. Shooting for a temp around 160. I’m not sure if I will get that deep red color at that temp though. Thoughts?

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited April 2021
    Options
    No experience doing pastrami with duck but if it is already brined with nitrite, it should retain the red color regardless of the temperature.  When I make MSM with beef brisket, I smoke until 203F and the beef remains pink because of the nitrite in the brine.  I am interested to see your results, not sure that the sous-vide will add any benefit but who knows.

Options
    Very nice photo post. Thanks
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I have to try this!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Gasou4390 said:
    Final product.  Sous vide for 60 min at 110 to defrost.  Scored and rubbed. Smoked at 225 for 2.5 hours to get to 150 degrees. Refrigerated while I waited for dinner time.  Fries were done in duck fat with a garlic aioli dipping sauce.  Brushed the rye with duck fat to toast. Local butcher happened to have the fresh made Sauerkraut with garlic and jalapeno.  Sandwich was excellent.  Duck flavor really came through.  Will be doing it again but corning it myself next time.

That looks amazing, but I would like to take a moment to point out that by definition, sauerkraut cannot really be "fresh-made".
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    As long as you don't cook the sauerkraut, it's "fresh" in my book.  Just like honey, kombucha, yogurt and other live probiotics....once you can or pasteurize them they're no longer fresh. 
    Options
    As long as you don't cook the sauerkraut, it's "fresh" in my book.  Just like honey, kombucha, yogurt and other live probiotics....once you can or pasteurize them they're no longer fresh. 
    Hmm, I'm going to have to ponder that.

NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ok, Poi Dog
    Options