Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rodney Scott Cookbook

Options
Anyone have this? Trying to decide if I need one more cookbook...

THANKS!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Was not impressed. Half of it is his story, that you know if you’ve seen the Netflix special. There is a great section if you are interested in cooking whole hog.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I would think this photo alone would seel the book to many folks here :)  :

I've had my copy about a month but to be honest I haven't done much more than flip thru it yet. About the first half of the book is a lot of personal narrative. There is a small pictorial on building a cinder block pit for whole hog cooking.
    There are more recipes for sides and desserts and a few cocktails than for meats. His recipe for wings is  a version of cooking on the grill for a half hour (wings coated with his rib rub) then deep frying. Nothing really unique.
    I'll be making batches of a couple of his sauces and his rib rub not in a few weeks. None of his recipes that I have looked at call for any exotic ingredients. His rib rub does use MSG (which I am fine with) which might scare away some folks.
    If you're looking for a book that is bursting with recipes this ain't it - for a book like that you need a Raichlen book. :)
    If you use the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon and see a recipe listed that you want to know more about just say so and I'll post a pix of it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Get it. He (like most restaurants), could use the income. Worse case you gift it. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    @northGAcock very true. His place in Birmingham is really struggling.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Anyone see his executive chef (Roscoe Hall)  on the new season of Top Chef?  Seemed like a good dude, but sadly he was first to “pack his knives and go”.  Last few episodes, they’ve been featuring Kamodo Joes — would have been cool to see what he could do with that, but it was not in the cards. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Judging people who list MSG as an ingredient in their recipes drives me nuts.  Anti-MSG people are on the same level as anti-vaxxers IMO.  MSG is natural, safe, and adds depth to the flavor profile.  If you don't like it, don't include it.
    Options
    Judging people who list MSG as an ingredient in their recipes drives me nuts.  Anti-MSG people are on the same level as anti-vaxxers IMO.  MSG is natural, safe, and adds depth to the flavor profile.  If you don't like it, don't include it.
    I love MSG. I even use on my bowl of cereal in the morning. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    GregW said:
    I love MSG. I even use on my bowl of cereal in the morning. 
    I snort a line of it before going to a bbq

Options
    One of the two components of Dashi, the base broth for Ramen and other Japanese soups, is Kombu, or dried seaweed.  You are not to brush off the white blush that appears on the weed, because it's, yeah, naturally-occurring MSG.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.