Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Pork/Chicken for Pulled Sandwiches

Options
So my wife is not a pork eater so when I do pork butt for sandwiches I end up cooking some chicken on the side usually on another grill which is a hassle.  I am thinking of doing a whole chicken along with the pork both on the egg.  Just curious if anyone here has done this.  Obviously the cook times are different but it seems like it would work.  

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    should work if you have the room
    I'd ice down the chicky breast ala Mad Max Turkey method

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If your doing the chicken for pulled chicken I would throw on a few quarters and let em ride. I’ve done low n slow chicken @250ish for 6 or so hrs before I pulled it off.  Shreds really great too 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - the resident pulled chix expert.  I've even gone 8 hours with the chix so no worries regarding time.
    BTW- Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    this was with turkey but chicken would be fine

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Srf_in_Dfw
    Options
    Yeah I wouldn't do a whole chicken, I'd just get a bunch of thighs and let it ride. I've done them low and slow and they shred into terrific pulled chicken.
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    I think you just gave me an idea for a nice easy weekend cook! Thanks! 
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Great thinking!    I was going to do 2 pork butts for the Kentucky derby, but now it will be pulled pork and chicken sliders on the menu!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    It's not on the egg bit I've had great success with pulled chicken in a crockpot.