Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning interior

Jeff
Jeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new owner and enjoy grilling a variety of things-seafood ,meat,veggies,etc. Is it necessary to clean the interior to keep from having meat taste like fish and vice versa? If so, how often to you clean it to avoid funky odors or tastes on food? Is it hard to keep clean? Thanks!

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Jeff,
    Once in a while I crank up the temps to 1000º+ and let Mr. Egg clean himself. It's over in about 12-15 minutes. Never have had any residual taste that I can recall. I think the BGE people need to make that a selling point, Self Cleaning!
    Carey

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Jeff,
    Now and then cook a steak or grill something at 600-700 deg range and let the grill sit at that temp for 15+ minutes. That will do a good job of removing the last few cook remains. You will see the smoke stop and then its pretty clean. To really clean mine, I use a pizza stone/plate setter combo and cook 2 pizza's. After that, everything just has a white powder that is just brushed off the grid - clean!![p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Jeff,
    Welcome to the forum! Tim and Carey have given you good advice on self-cleaning. As far as off flavors from the previous meal, I don't think that is a problem. I like to give the cooking grid a good scraping if I will be cooking chicken after a batch of squid! But other than that, you should not have any troubles with funky odors or tastes on your food.[p]Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ