Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Issue -- Need advice or help

JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having a strange issue with a brisket that I have never experienced before. [p]I put this 14 lb packer cut brisket on the egg yesterday at 2 PM. The egg has been between 200 and 250 ever since then. Egg was at 240 last night when I went to bed at 10 PM and the brisket was at 143. Got up this morning and egg was at 200 and the brisket was at 154. I've never seen such slow movement for an eight hour period before. Should I be concerned. The plan is to chop up some of the brisket and make a chili with it that my wife really likes for the game tonight. [p]Any thoughts?? Help.[p]John

Comments

• JM3,[p]Is your thermometer properly calibrated and are those temps at the dome or grid? If yes and dome, they’re too low. You should be reading in the 225* to 270* range at the grid with, IMHO, 240* ideal for an overnight.[p]That said; watch your temps for a while. That is not a small piece of meat and you could be well into a prolonged plateau. If your thermometer is just a bit off, AND you got a temp drop in the plateau (which is not unheard of), you are probably right where you ought to be.

• JM3
    JM3,[p]Here is what the brisket currently looks like.[p]IMG_1018.jpg[p]John
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    I think you'll be fine....but amp up the dome temp....at least to 250 and more like 275....Alot of folks try the 225 and it's a 'sexy' low-n-slow temp...But fact is...with the attributes of the BGE and cooking indirect....anywhere from 250 to 275 is A-OK......And once you get that rascal to about 170 internal I'd foil that biggun' up and let her move up to the 190 - 195 you're looking for.......[p]Best of luck.....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• JM3,
    Looks good, and you're probably right on track.
    What I meant by “watch your temps for a while” is this:
    Get your cook temp right. I like 240* grid for what you are doing. You could bump that up a little bit, but I wouldn’t go much over 260*. You can push a brisket through the plateau with a higher cook temp, but that doesn’t allow for a complete rendering.
    With a stable cook temp, watch the internal temp of the brisket. If it rises steadily to about 163* and then stops, you’re concerns will be confirmed and you are experiencing a VERY long cook brought aboutby a cook temp that was too low. If, OTOH, the internal temp stays where it is for a bit then begins a rise right through the 160* - 165* range, then you’ve wasted all that good concern.
    If you need to speed things along a bit, wait ‘till you’re through the plateau and to about 170* internal, then wrap the brisket in foil and put it back in the Egg.
    Good luck!

• JM3,
    If you are going by the dome temp, the temp at the grate where meat is probably 25 degrees cooler.If your dome temp was 200, then the grate temp could have been about 175. Get the dome up to at least 250 or 260. Looks like you have a good start on your brisket.

• JM3
    JM3,[p]Well it finally came off the egg at 1 PM today. A full 23 hour cook and there is lump left over. Have to love the egg. The point was actually at a higher temp then the flat. First time I have ever seen that.[p]I appreciate the advice and reassurance. The flat is sitting in the cooler wrapped in foil waiting for closer to game time [p]:-)[p]John