Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pita!

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,669
I bet this would work in the egg.  I think that I would cook directly on the platesetter.

100% Flour (500g Strong AP or bread)

72% water (360g 110F)

3% Salt (15g)

3% EVO (15g)

3% Sugar (15g)

2.6% Salt (13g)

2% IDY yeast (10g)

1. Mix water, sugar and yeast.  Wait 10 minutes.
  2. Mix the liquid with the flour in the Kitchen Aid with the dough hook for 2-3 minutes.  Slowly start incorporating the salt and the EVO over a couple of minutes and continue mixing for 5 minutes.
  3. Make a dough ball and transfer to an oiled container.  Let double in volume about an hour.
  4. Transfer the dough to the countertop, degas it and split into 12 (75g) balls.  Let rest for 10-15 minutes covered with a damp towel.
  5. Thinly roll the dough into ~6 inches discs (I rolled one by one as I was cooking them.  Use rice flour (it has good tolerance to high heat) to prevent sticking.
  6. Bake 10-15 seconds on the first side until you see the sides are starting to puff and then split and continue baking until you see a nice puff.  Don’t overcook!
  7. Transfer to a plate covered with a dry towel.
  8. Voilà!

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Nicely done. You nailed it!

Pita has been on  my list for way too long. Thanks for the detailed recipe. 

What temp did you bake those at in the roccbox?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    @caliking  900-950F

They’ll puff like that at 450-500. Just like a simple Neopolitan pizza dough will. Nice job on the pita @paqman
  • paqman
    ColbyLang said:
    They’ll puff like that at 450-500. Just like a simple Neopolitan pizza dough will. Nice job on the pita @paqman
    I did a batch on a regular propane BBQ a couple of years ago (maybe a decade? 🤣😂) and they puffed so yeah 450-500 should work.  It was 10-15 seconds per side in the Roccbox and I would expect something similar on the platesetter in the egg.  When baking pizza on the egg, I used the platesetter + pswoo2 + riser + pizza stone.  For pita, I would go direct on the platesetter.

That looks awesome! Will have to try on the egg. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    thumbs up