Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork lunch served at noon. Best way to get there?

I have a 9# pork butt with which I will serve to family for a birthday lunch in a few days. Eating time? Noon. I have almost exclusively used the turbo method, but I don't think I've got enough time that day to make it happen via turbo. I guess I'm not willing to get up WAY before the crack of dawn to make it happen. I have only done a couple overnight cooks because they stress me out and I don't get good sleep due to the worry that the fire will go out...or...the fire will get roaring.  
What would you do? I don't have any of that fancy hardware to keep the temp steady. I've got a Maverick ET-??? remote temp monitor, but that's it.
Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Cook it the day before and reheat it on the egg the next day. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    SonVolt said:
    Cook it the day before and reheat it on the egg the next day. 
    100%
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I would like to know how to get there as well. What other items will you be having with it?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    itsmce said:
    I don't have any of that fancy hardware to keep the temp steady. I've got a Maverick ET-??? remote temp monitor, but that's it.
    If your Maverick has the range to reach your sleeping quarters, wouldn't that let you sleep? Mine has beeped and woken me up twice during brisket cooks, letting me know the fire was dropping; a quick stir and I was soon back asleep.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i sleep well so overnight is the only way i cook them. light egg around 7pm, get it stable around 240, butt goes in around 9. maverick set at 190 low alarm, 270 high alarm, go to sleep. adjust dome temps up or down early to compensate where dome temps were at when you got up.  now i have 7 hours before noon, i leave and go fish for the rest of the morning......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    I would like to know how to get there as well. What other items will you be having with it?
    Kinda non-standard sides...birthday girl picked the menu: steamed broccoli, spinach queso dip with chips.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    itsmce said:
    Kinda non-standard sides...birthday girl picked the menu: steamed broccoli, spinach queso dip with chips.
    it will be nice non the less. Enjoy the spread.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would probably do an overnight cook and then FTC until noon. However, if you don't want the stress just cook it ahead of time. There are lots of ways to reheat. I am a big fan of food saver bags or zip-locs in simmering water. If you have time the easiest way is to just throw it in a crock pot with a little liquid (I prefer a vinegar based sauce) on low for a couple of hours before serving. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I wouldn't bother with the BGE reheat.  Pull when the cook is finished the day before and then make sure your container(s) are tightly sealed, spritz with some cut apple cider vinegar (ballpark the water cider ratio-heavier on the water) and reheat in the clock box at your lowest temp (mine is170*F, many now go to 140*F. ).  Many ways to get there.  Key is to pull when finished the initial cook. FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I have a smobot now, but prior to that the Maverick was my security blanket for overnight cooks and it worked well. I also understand the additional stress that comes with cooking for guests. If you do go overnight, the longer it's stabilized at desired temp before throwing the meat on the better. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be a great b-day party.
    Stillwater, MN
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Lou is on point. 

Pull it when done, put it in a pan or foil tray, tightly lid with heavy duty foil. Warm slowly
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Hey fellow Kansian 
    I'm in Basehor, KS
    where be you?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    The best reheating method I've found is to wrap very tightly in several layers of plastic wrap and steam. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • itsmce
    loco_engr said:
    Hey fellow Kansian 
    I'm in Basehor, KS
    where be you?
    Wichita

• itsmce
    Thanks for all the advice. I still have a couple days to decide what to do. 
    If I cook it the day before, is it best to store it overnight in one piece or go ahead and pull/shred it the day before and store it ready to eat?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    itsmce said:
    Thanks for all the advice. I still have a couple days to decide what to do. 
    If I cook it the day before, is it best to store it overnight in one piece or go ahead and pull/shred it the day before and store it ready to eat?
    Pull and shred. I splash it with some Coke in a pan or crockpot when warming it back up. Never been an issue. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    I warm it up in Sous vid at °140 for a couple of hours

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    EASY! Cut the butt in half, and you'll cut your cook time in almost half!  It's like 1h per lb, so start it at 7 am and you should be fine for a 12:30 to 1 pm lunch.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!