Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon!!!

Mark_B_Good
Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow!!!

Ok, so I cut a tenderloin piece into 1.5" thick steaks. Wrapped with bacon held together with two toothpicks. Coated both sides liberally with Kosher salt and crushed black pepper.

Blasted the bbq, getting it up to around 500F to 600F range, with cast iron skillet coated with pile oil. Once the oil was smoking, I put on the steaks 4 minutes on the first side.

Then I took off steaks and added butter, table spoon of chopped garlic and table spoon of rosemary to the skillet. Once the better melted, I put the steaks back on the other side for another 4 minutes. I basted with the juice every 20 seconds.

I then took it to the top wrack of the bbq at 400F and cooked until it reached internal of 135F to 140F. Basically took another 3 minutes to hit that.

Turned out perfect!!

I had more steaks than could fit in the skillet, so I made sure I kept them all at the same point in the process. Cooked side 1, putting cooked pieces on a plate while others also cooked on side 1. Then cooked them all through side 2, then put them on the top wrack. Worked well.

Here's some pictures.

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• Mark_B_Good
    edited April 2021
    Just one comment. The bacon retained A LOT of salt. Was way too salty. Next time, I'll probably leave the bacon out.

I might even lesson the amount of kosher salt seasoning. Easy to add salt after, if it's not enough. I think if I say 50% to 75% coated (instead of 100%), it would have been the perfect amount of salt.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Good job.  Looks great.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    Just one comment. The bacon retained A LOT of salt. Was way too salty. Next time, I'll probably leave the bacon out.

I might even lesson the amount of kosher salt seasoning. Easy to add salt after, if it's not enough. I think if I say 50% to 75% coated (instead of 100%), it would have been the perfect amount of salt.

i stopped using the bacon, too much of a pain. try tying with string and cut it off when serving, it helps the steak from flopping over keeping it thicker
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Yeah, I also don't use bacon any more.  Great cook.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Well, I was able to keep the bacon on pretty good, using TWO toothpicks, one on each side of the steak. That wasn't an issue.

It was just SALTY like crazy salty. It's like most of the salt I seasoned the steak with ended up being absorbed by the bacon!  Not sure, but it didn't taste great, and we took off the bacon to eat the rest of the steak ... without the bacon it was AMAZING!

So unless I just put on way too much salt seasoning ... I'll skip the bacon next time.
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Looks real good man. You nailed the cook. For what it’s worth, I think the bacon wrapped steak has always been kind of gimmicky to me. It’s not something that any of the higher end steak places around me keep as a regular menu item. I think it’s usually done at Texas Roadhouse or Outback to make a lower quality cut of meat taste better. Definitely would think it would make a properly seasoned steak way too salty if you didn’t adjust. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    👀