Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Rib Breakfast Burrito

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
A Fail, but I learned some things.

When I made Birria Tacos I had three beef shortribs left, froze them for a later date (I missed Burrito Day yesterday).  Thawed, sprinkled with Montreal Steak Seasoning, grilled on the small to 125º, rested, and sliced thin:

Made up a sauce with a glop of sour cream, two smaller glops of sriracha and mayo, and some minced cilantro.  Grated half a potato and soaked for hashbrowns.  Two eggs with green onion and mexican cheese, soft-scrambled.  My avocado was still rock-hard so I diced a small tomato.  

Although I bought the largest tortillas I could find, they weren't big enough.  I wanted to smear the outside with butter and return to the Egg for some crisping, but that wasn't gonna happen.  Then saw the tomatoes still on the cutting board, gah.  Then the burrito unrolled itself, and I realized this was gonna be as pretty as she gets:

I re-rolled, and knew it'd be a fork breakfast.  Then a knife-and-spoon breakfast, the thin rib slices were really tough.  It tasted good, but parts were cold by the time I finished it.  

I have two shortribs left, will be trying the following tomorrow:
1.  Chop the ribs in the food processor, and add to the beaten eggs.  Hopefully they'll be warmed just enough by the time the eggs set.
2.  Split the proteins between two tortillas; I still want to try crisping them up.
3.  Option: swing by McDonald's for a couple hashbrown patties to use (I still can't make hashbrowns worth diddly)

This is kinda complicated for a breakfast, lotsa dirty dishes, and three cooking devices, too much for someone who doesn't drink coffee.  It'll be easier tomorrow, and a griddle (which I don't have room for) would really help.  Live and learn.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I always love seeing imaginative cooks using leftovers...even failed ones.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't see a whole lot wrong here. Except for the absence of salsa or pico de gallo.

And may I suggest tater tots? Get 'em crispy in the Breville oven. They hit the spot in breakfast tacos. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    caliking said:
    And may I suggest tater tots? Get 'em crispy in the Breville oven. They hit the spot in breakfast tacos. 
    That idea occurred to me an hour ago or so, will do that!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I would eat that anytime of the day. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks great. It looks like maybe that tortilla is a little stiff? I think it helps to microwave the tortilla rolled up in damp paper towels, then assemble and roll quickly. If you want to grill it just a big skillet with a little butter. 

This guy has a good vid
    (10) The Perfect Breakfast Burrito (3 Ways) - YouTube

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    looks fundamentally fine to me.  You can warm it all up before eating in other ways.  I'm not getting excited about the idea of chopping up short rib (or any other meat) in a food processor unless you're trying to make spam.
    Options
    It looks like maybe that tortilla is a little stiff? I think it helps to microwave the tortilla rolled up in damp paper towels, then assemble and roll quickly.

This guy has a good vid
    (10) The Perfect Breakfast Burrito (3 Ways) - YouTube
    No, as I mentioned in the OP they were just not big enough for what I cooked (half a potato, 2 eggs, and maybe an ounce of sliced rib?).  Maybe I just didn't pack it down tight enough.  I always soften my tortillas first, either microwave, on the grill, on a gas burner, or steam (I used to use hot fat for my enchiladas, and recently my birria tacos (both corn tortillas) but I'm rethinking that, a bit).  

I've seen Joshua's video before.  And I think my major disappointment this morning was not being able to make a photo-ready clean slice thru my finished burrito like he did.   :|  And regarding his second burrito, is he sautèeing and slicing wagyu beef for his burritos?!?  He's making too much money, methinks...    

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Did you reheat the short rib to 125F or did you cook it from raw to 125F?

Short ribs is a tough cut of meat.  It sounds like a good idea to use the leftovers from a previous cook and reheat them.

Options
    I cooked them to 125 originally, to reheat I just added them to the eggs and when the eggs were firm, I was hoping the meat was warm enough (it was).  
    You're right, those things are tough cooked to 125.  Must be mostly collagen (like brisket) and not fat (like steak).  I'll be using them for long braises and stews only, from now on.  

• paqman
    Options
    yes!  like @lousubcap says: « brisket on a stick »

I smoke them to 203F and it is the juiciest and tastiest piece of meat you could imagine.  They are pretty hard to get by around here but I found a butcher that keeps them in stock.  They are also good cold or reheated in a sauce or even in a soup!

Options
    paqman said:
    yes!  like @lousubcap says: « brisket on a stick »

I smoke them to 203F and it is the juiciest and tastiest piece of meat you could imagine.  They are pretty hard to get by around here but I found a butcher that keeps them in stock.  They are also good cold or reheated in a sauce or even in a soup!
    Its interesting, I follow "Sam the cooking guy" a bit on EweTube, and he keeps using boneless shortribs in quick cooks (freezer for 30 minutes, slice as thin as possible, then grill in oil as fast as possible, build the dish).  He loves his final results (oh really?) but I haven't had the same results with shortribs.
    And, I'm assuming boneless beef shortribs are "shortribs on a stick", without the stick?  Maybe I'm wrong on that?  

• paqman
    Options
    Korean BBQ, kalbi, is basically short ribs meat sliced thin and across the bones and that’s pretty darn good.  Maybe your meat was cut parallel to the bone instead of perpendicular?