Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Prime Brisket And A Couple Butts

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
Got a nice break in the weather and these were defrosted so I figured why not. 

Trimmed the brisket pretty tightly (hopefully don’t regret that) and coated with Oakridge BBQ Black Ops. 

Trimmed excess fat off the butts and coated with a Memphis style rub. 

Was talking with my physical therapist while at my appt yesterday and she was telling she loved BBQ but her boyfriend hates it so she doesn’t get it very often. 

I’m going to bring at least a pound of brisket and a couple pounds of pulled pork to Monday’s appt as a thank you for all of her help for the past 14 weeks. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• dsmc
    dsmc Posts: 11
    Options
    Looks great!
    We were on the same page this weekend......brisket and butts
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Looking good, brownie points for the therapist. 
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • CTMike
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Well unfortunately life threw us another curve ball yesterday. Got the brisket and butts settled on the Egg at about 275 F, then the wife and I went shopping for a couple things. I went to get something on one aisle, and she went down another. We met back up and she didn’t look so good. Said she was having severe chest pains radiating up to her neck, throat, and ears.

In to the car to the local ER facility (satellite of the local hospital - was only 5 minutes away otherwise would’ve called for an ambulance). 

EKG and blood enzymes ruled out a heart attack, but she was admitted to the hospital for observation and further testing. Needless to say, by the time I got back home, the flat was at 215 and the point was around 208. The butts were still in the stall so they were salvageable. 

The point will be sliced and the flat saved for chili.

My wife is doing much better today, has an Echo on tap, and a cardiac cath tomorrow. They were planning on a nuclear stress test but decided stressing her cardio respiratory system in light of her asthma wasn’t a good idea. They will also do a complete GI work up to see if the pain was GERD related. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    Sorry to learn of that episode with your wife @CTMike.  Way to jump on it and get the immediate help.  Here's to a prompt and accurate diagnosis and expeditious treatment and recovery.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Yikes. Hope everything turns out ok. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    That's a very scary thing to have happen. It really puts things into perspective, bbq isn't important when something like a health scare happens.
    Hopefully all the test will indicate that there is nothing going on.

• Mustache_Vol
    Options
    Sorry to hear that CTMike. I hope everything is going well. Praying for your wife and family. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Thanks for the good vibes all. Her Echo came back normal, cath is happening today at 4.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    I had a similar issue 2 summers ago. Ended up being Gerd and an ulcer. Had the heart cath and everything. Prayers for your wife. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Just got the cath results back - according to the cardiologist doing the procedure her coronary arteries are “clean as a whistle” - great news. It appears all of this was brought on by a new medication she started Saturday morning. Evidently chest pain is a rare side effect but they’ve basically ruled out everything else. 

Should be home tomorrow. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    Great news!  Thanks for the update.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Awesome news!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Just got the cath results back - according to the cardiologist doing the procedure her coronary arteries are “clean as a whistle” - great news. It appears all of this was brought on by a new medication she started Saturday morning. Evidently chest pain is a rare side effect but they’ve basically ruled out everything else. 

Should be home tomorrow. 
    Glad to hear it wasn’t anything serious there, Mike.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike