Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Pit Barrel Cooker

Does anyone here have a PBC in addition to a BGE? If so, what do you like to cook on the PBC Over the BGE?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited January 2015
    There is nothing like pit cooked food.  It has a completely different flavor profile the Egg cannot duplicate.  This is what I started on and still cook on when a lot of food must be cooked.  

I love those days when your shoveling coals all night, listening to some Johnny Cash, drinking cold beverages, and shooting the bull.  

Here is the cooker set up for gas cooking.  This was a fund raiser for a church (no cremation services this time).  Cooked 275 Ribeyes this night.  

Cooking some butts and split breasts here....  This cook was pit cooked using oak and hickory wood.  

These aren't barrel smokers, but another pit type.  Cooked 750 chicken halves on these that day and probably had room for 250 more on the rest of the pits.  This was a nice setup here.   

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited January 2015
    I started off with an offset like this.  It was great to learn on, and to get some experience with.  The food that came off of it was good, but it was so much more labor intensive that it took away from the experience.  The smoker needed to be babysat and fed the whole time.  Which equated to me tending a smoker and drinking the entire time.  There were a few meals that I was finished at the same time the food was!  Glad I learned on this type of smoker to see if I would enjoy it, but very happy to move on to a couple of Eggs and able to enjoy this hobby that much more.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    edited January 2015
    Did you mean this specific cooker or any type of pit barrel smoker? http://pitbarrelcooker.com/
  • @Smokeyj - yes, I mean the specific product The Pit Barrel Cooker
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827

@tarheelmatt ... forgive me, but this picture should be the lead post in a separate discussion.  It's an epic picture that would draw out comments from even the lurkers.  Maybe irreverent comments, but ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

@Smokeyj - yes, I mean the specific product The Pit Barrel Cooker

Looks like a brand of what's known as UDS or ugly drum smoker, lots of plans for them on the web, places that sell parts but you supply your own 55 gal drum, etc.  I've never used one, but have thought it would be fun to try at some point.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    edited January 2015
    The PBC is different than a UDS. It is made from a 30 gallon drum and not setup for indirect cooks. You hang the meat and cook with kingsford blue bag. It is not temp adjusted. There are specific settings for altitude that mfg recommends once set you forget.

People seem to really like them. I have talked to the mfg a few times and they are good people.

Checkout their website. Has lots of info. It is not a grill or smoker. It is a different beast. Its a one trick pony, but it does that trick real well. It is a pony I would like in my stable.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The PBC is the dumbed down version of a UDS, with the advantage of being a "set it and forget it cooker" Folks like em because results are pretty consistent. A bunch of people cook with em on the bbq-brethren forum. The cool thing is that you can mod a drum smoker almost any way you want since all it takes is a drill and parts - extra racks, grommets for temp probes, etc. You can smoke at lower temps or grill at higher temps depending on how its set up. Drums are poorly insulated, but overnight cooks are very much possible

I miss smoked wings from my UDS. My egged wings always end up with more of a grilled flavor/texture because of the lesser distance between charcoal and cooking grid vs. a UDS. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tarheelmatt
    Whoops... I didn't realize you were referring to a specific brand.  

Disregard my post then.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt

@tarheelmatt ... forgive me, but this picture should be the lead post in a separate discussion.  It's an epic picture that would draw out comments from even the lurkers.  Maybe irreverent comments, but ...
    Yeah, I know... That is why I placed the footnote of no cremation services this time.  

This is the only place for the cooker as the fellowship hall kitchen is up next to the graveyard.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

The PBC is different than a UDS. It is made from a 30 gallon drum and not setup for indirect cooks. You hang the meat and cook with kingsford blue bag. It is not temp adjusted. There are specific settings for altitude that mfg recommends once set you forget.

People seem to really like them. I have talked to the mfg a few times and they are good people.

Checkout their website. Has lots of info. It is not a grill or smoker. It is a different beast. Its a one trick pony, but it does that trick real well. It is a pony I would like in my stable.

That's pretty cool. So it's basically a traditional pit cooker contained in a barrel. I have an idea on how to replicate it on the egg.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Eggcelsior - please share!

Its not that different from a UDS, which can be made from 55gal, 30gal, or 16gal drums. The difference is that with a UDS you can regulate temps based on how much air you let in at the bottom. The PBC has an air intake of a fixed size to hit a set temp. You could mod it to hit higher temps though, by adding air intakes. Major advantage is that you don't have to find a drum, burn it out, cut the top off, drill holes, paint it, etc. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    edited January 2015
    caliking said:

@Eggcelsior - please share!

Its not that different from a UDS, which can be made from 55gal, 30gal, or 16gal drums. The difference is that with a UDS you can regulate temps based on how much air you let in at the bottom. The PBC has an air intake of a fixed size to hit a set temp. You could mod it to hit higher temps though, by adding air intakes. Major advantage is that you don't have to find a drum, burn it out, cut the top off, drill holes, paint it, etc. 

There new mfg facility in California has enamel coated barrels. Supposedly the same as webers process. Prerty nice looking.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    I have a pbc, have had it about a year and a half. It has its place in my arsenal and really shines with chicken. Not sure why, but it produces superior chicken to the bge.  I can hang 10-12 halves, put the lid on, come back in 2 hours and have perfect chicken everytime.  Ribs are a close second.  I can hang 8-10 racks and they cook perfectly even though the tip of the rack is only a few inches from the coals.  Ive also tried about everything else imaginable with consistently good results, brisket, chuck roast, sausage, tenderloins, prime rib, the list goes on. 

The pbc would never replace my bge and if I could only keep 1, it would be the bge no question.  However, the pbc is an awesome cooker to mix it up a bit and the food does taste different.  Plus, hanging the meat is kinda cool to do and definitely makes for good conversation when youre preparing grub for guests.    

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I have to say @shucker you have peeked my interest. I've been looking for something along these lines for cols smoking. Any experience with that? I in vision hangin sausage in this. For charcuterie purposes.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• moo4me
    moo4me Posts: 37
    Being from the Midwest and never having heard of tri tIp until visiting family in California, my first experience having tri tip came cooked on a UDS. Hung from hooks and slow cooked. So tender and full of moisture, makes me want to dabble with one myself some day.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    @grege345 I don't think the pbc would be a good option for cold smoking. It's really marketed as a set it and forget it type cooker. With that said, they don't intend for you to adjust the dampers and have much control over the temperature. As designed it works great. I've monitored cooking Temps with my maverick just for curiosity and it usually runs between 275 and 325 for the bulk of the cook, depending on load of course.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Does a WSM behave like a PBC if you don’t use the drip pan?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Powak said:
    Yes, with better temp control. Buy or make a hanging rack. 

canuckland
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    As @shucker said, you can hang a lot of ribs in the PBC, and they come out perfectly every time, as long as you double hook them. If you don't use two hooks, there may be a sacrifice to the fire gods. I don't do ribs on the Egg, even with an XL you have to make extra arrangements. 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited April 2021
    Powak said:
    Yes, chicken and ribs are hard to beat hanging them in a WSM.

Even more birds in the 22" version:

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I spent hours looking at PBC and UDS and had planned on building a UDS with my Daughter.  Then my neighbor sold me his LBGE at a fair price and I kinda forgot about it.  I still have a Weber sitting on the side of my house that I intended to use the lid from as the top of my UDS build.

Now that I own a truck as I was driving to the coast and back this week I started thinking about the UDS again.  I only want it as a project to cook on something I made.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited April 2021
    Everyone should build a UDS at some point. That's like a right of passage to being a true bbq nut.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited April 2021
    Anyone heard from @Philicious ? He hasn’t been active in over 2 years. I hope all is well with him 🤞

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Everyone should build a UDS at some point. That's like a right of passage to being a true bbq nut.
    Still on my list of to do and having the truck makes getting a barrel easier than a Fusion Hybrid.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.