Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Butt on same cook?

Sorry I inadvertently posted this in Forum feedback....double posted.

So.....We're having an engagement party for our son and his fiancé Saturday and I'm attempting a Brisket.
I also have a Butt thawed so I wanted to smoke it also for a backup for a failed Brisket attempt/Easter lunch.
Do y'all see a problem with this double cook?
Thanks!

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I've done it.  Just make sure both proteins are protected from direct heat.  If you are on an XL and doing them side by side your fine.  If you are doing them vertically on a large, I will usually put a loose tent of foil over the bottom protein to deflect drippings from above, but also no problem with the drippings mingling, if you're into that.
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Here's a link to a thread that has some info:

Re: Packer Brisket and Pork Butt - Same Time  FWIW.

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Yes sir!!  A brisket and 2 butts. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • dsmc
    dsmc Posts: 11
    I’ve got to get one of those stacking thingies.......
    Thanks for the replies guys!
  • lousubcap
    In the interim you can drink three aluminum canned beers and use the cans to support a second grid.  Weber makes a 17" grid that does a nice job as the second level in a LBGE.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dsmc
    edited April 2021
    Got lucky.....Looks like we’ll be having the butt for Easter lunch.
    I ran the BGE @ 275/300 and kept an eye on my temps and pulled it @ 205 degrees and put it in a preheated to 275 degree oven and cut it off. When I got up @ 7:30, 5 hours later, I opened the package to see what I had. The butt was perfect too!
    Thanks for the the replies!

• lousubcap
    Way to deliver the goods when under the gun so to speak.  Great looking result right there. 
    Congrats to your son and his fiance.  
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Fantastic results
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • dsmc
    I was thinking that every butt or brisket is an individual cook. This cook finished up a lot sooner than I had anticipated, in just 7 hours. Had I not been watching the internal temps very close I would have ruined the cook. I generally smoke butts at around 250, so the extra 50 degrees really hurried the cook up!