Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

electric smoker rust inside

Options
Picked up free curb Masterbuilt electric smoker, had a ton of rust inside the cabinet.  Best way to refurbish?  Is it a lost cause?  I was thinking of using a wire brush to scrap the rust.  Any suggestions appreciated.
Elkhorn, NE
1 large egg
28" Blackstone
Akorn Jr. 

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    pics or it didn’t happen!

Remove the surface rust with a wire wheel grinder.  Then coat the entire interior with vegetable oil in a spray bottle.  Heat it up to 350 or so let cool and then redcoat and heat again.  The surface will be fully seasoned and ready to cook.  I did this with a big rusted gravity unit and it came out perfect.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    Throw it away and use a BGE

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    There's worse things than rust.......like cracked ceramic.
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Throw it away and use a BGE
    I have an egg, just adding to the arsenal.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Remove the surface rust with a wire wheel grinder.  Then coat the entire interior with vegetable oil in a spray bottle.  Heat it up to 350 or so let cool and then redcoat and heat again.  The surface will be fully seasoned and ready to cook.  I did this with a big rusted gravity unit and it came out perfect.

Thanks, I will give it a shot
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options

Thanks, I will give it a shot
    Seems to be working as suggested.

Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr.