Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

worse than a gas grill

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After all the rave of how good a green egg is............I don't see it. the egg may have its advantages but i have not been able to find them Not only is it a pain compared to gas to start, but the tempature control, especially at cooler tempatures, is more difficult. Steaks aren't as good as on a "good" gas grill and the degree of difficulty is harder. i can't figure out were the reputation came from! What makes this thing successful to those that are using it? If anyone want's to buy a large egg with stand and eggs. it's up for sale if the merchant will not refund.

Comments

• Alex ,
    Well, maybe it's not for you then. There is a learning curve involved but to me that's part of the fun. The whole ritual of lighting and temp control appeals to me and I don't find it burdensome. I'm a convert from gas and I like the smoky flavors and moistness of the meat. My gas grill could supposedly roast slowly but I never could get low temps with it. I'm sorry you're disappointed with your Egg. If you really want to sell it just let the forum know where you're located and it probably won't take long to unload. Have fun with your gas grill, just keep barbecuing!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Alex ,[p] Wow.. Did you wake up on the wrong side of your gasser. Probably sniffed too much propane.[p] I'll gibe you $20.00 for your egg since you have abviously ruined it..
  • ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Alex ,[p]Your 100% right. I will gladly pay for shipping of your egg so that it will no longer sully your deck. Don't worry, I will dispose of it for you.
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Alex ,[p]Don't give up! The key to blissdom on the egg is learning how to build and manage the fire![p]1. Make sure you have enough lump (not charcoal briquettes). Fill to, say, 3" below the cooking grid.[p]2. Don't chase the fire! Start the lump with your favorite method (paraffin squares, chimney, MAPP gas), then close the lid with the bottom vent wide open and the top open 1 1/2 inches. It won't take long at all for the fire to catch. It gets to temp just as fast as a gas grill.[p]At that point, when the dome is at 250 approaching 300, close the bottom vent to about 3/16, and the top to 1/2. But remember, the egg is very sensitive to constant opening and closing of the lid! So, keep it closed![p]3. Don't chase the fire! As the temp stabilizes, keep closing the bottom vent. Try not to allow the temp to overshoot, as it is hard to get the temp to lower once it is too hot. The best way to lower the temp if that happens is to insert your plate setter with your meat. That'll get you right where you want to be.[p]I've attached a link showing how to set up for lo and slo cooking. The principles are the same, no matter what temp you'r aiming for.[p]The moral of the story is, "don't chase the fire" (by opening and closing the vents).[p]Chuck
    [ul][li]http://www.clconsulting.mesanetworks.net/LowTemp.htm[/ul]
  • Alex , sounds to me you just picked the wrong time of year to begin egging. Winter can be heck on a new owner, especially if you are accustomed to punching a red igniter button. My hunch is....if you are truly interested in grilling and bbqing, then by early summer, you'll enjoy a cold one and the time spent fooling with the egg. [p]If you are looking for the quick answers and techniques, then I suggest contacting the dealer and get a good gas grill. The egg is not for everyone, just as gas grills aren't for everyone. [p]If the dealer doesn't take it back, then you could be the first dude nationally who stores is gas grill tools in an egg......Tom [p]
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Alex ,
    How long have you had your egg? There are some tricks that make things much easier. Reading this forum will give you lots of valuable information that will make using the egg a pleasure. Maybe you just arent cut out for it. Punching the red knob and dialing the temp is all some people can do.

• Alex ,
    Wow, sounds like you're really POd. What have you tried to cook, and why was the gasser much better? I still own a Weber Genesis 1000 and still use it...to cook hotdogs for my daughter. The Egg is honestly more of a pain than pushing the red button, but the food is much better and worth the trouble for me. What happened with your steak? C'mon, man, give us some details.[p]Besides, Rick is just itching to buy a Large to go with Martha...[p]Best of luck!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Alex ,
    Today I baked cornbread, when that was done I roasted half a dozen game hens, everything turned out excellent and I cooked with outside temps at -5. I could not do the same cooking with my gasser. There is a short learning curve on building and lighing a fire then setting the draft but all that falls into place with a little patience.
    The rewards are great cooking on the egg. Are you willing to miss out? If so, I wish you luck.

• Alex ,
    i'm not going to beg you to stay...
    but i'll trade you my two gassers for your one egg. deal?

• Alex ,[p]If you are near San Diego, I'm interested in a 2nd large.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Alex ,[p]Out trolling tonight, are we?[p]mShark
  • DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 54
    mollyshark,[p] I think u may have hit the nail on the head mollyshark! [p]
  • alb,
    what is your trip, man?[p]

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    mollyshark,[p]I'm pretty sure that the statement "the tempature control, especially at cooler tempatures, is more difficult."
    is a dead giveaway. :)[p]I wonder why I've never experienced these cool temperature problems.......hmmm........

• Troll with a stringer full o fish;-) [p]Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain[p]
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Alex ,
    Wow! Aside from chukl's good advice, it seems you are getting quite the a$$ beating for not being completely in love with the Egg. Sorry about the rude comments from others (red button, turn the dial, so simple a caveman could do it). [p]As for why the Egg is such a good cooker ... maybe it's more of a mindset than anything else. For instance, I enjoy the whole building-the-fire, setting-the-temperature business. I just like the process (and the food). If you are genuinely in a hurry or simply don't enjoy fiddling with things (like learning to control the heat on the Egg)then the Egg may not be the best choice for you. On the other hand, once you get through the learning curve you likely won't want to go back. [p]Outside some of the zealots for whom the Egg is the Way, there are a good number of folks here who are willing to help you learn to use the Egg to its full potential. By all means, check out the NakedWhiz site (www.nakedwhiz.com) for some good info.[p]Keep plugging along, slow down and smell the smoke! And, if you really want to get rid of the egg after the end of the summer, I'm sure someone will take it off your hands.[p]Whatever your choice, enjoy yourself ... life is too short to fight over fuel sources.

• Sandbagger,
    LMAO

• Alex ,[p]ouch.
    You are correct that a gas grill is easier, but better?
    I've never been able to tell much of a difference between food cooked in a good outdoor gas grill and a gas kitchen range.
    But then, wouldn't it be dull if everyone liked all the same things?

• BobMarlin,
    I was trying to be nice...man. Get off me.

• FatDog,
    Hey, I was nice too...

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Alex ,
    looks like this might be your first post.[p]you are a batter man than i for going it alone with the BGE as long as you have, but since your results are less than you expected, it may have been worth a try posting and telling us what you tried, what you wanted, and what went wrong.[p]your current post was a waste of your time, and ours. if you want help, ask for it and about 30 people are ready to provide it. [p]there must be a reason we are all having a blast and eating great food and you aren't. right now, sounds like operator error. don't go telling folks that drive a sick-shift all over town that you tried it, and it's impossible and overated. they'll just nod politely and let you go back to the automatic (the gasser). [p]but if you took two seconds, and asked a real question, well hell, someone might show you how.[p]your choice.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    FatDog,[p] Some of know know that every now and then a troll will pop in and try and rile things up. This posters comments were so negative that it screamed troll. So we had fun..[p] Sooooo whatcha cooking over there in the containment area? :)
  • Alex ,
    i'm located in the pocono area of pa.... i'll buy your egg..thanks! ray

• Celtic Wolf, I'm with you, ask a questions negatively expect the unexpected....for me that would be a sarcastic response, factual but sarcastic.....
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    FatDog,
    please dont apologize for me.

• Alex ,[p]Well the BGE can be work but it's fun work. Since I've never owned a gas grill I have yet to experience that level of cooking. =)[p] Sometimes I use me cheapo weber kettle for a fast grill but I usually slow smoke most of what we eat on the Egg.[p]Aloha![p]Greg
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    FatDog,
    Mea Culpa![p]It never occurred to me in the early a.m. hours that there may be a gas troll amongst us. Well, I say to heck with him. Maybe he is just too d@^# dumb to use charcoal and completely lacks any sense of good taste in either food or preparation means. [p]As for those who were offended by my blanket appology, buck up! (Wow, I can already see the fireworks starting ... just remember, I'm smiling while typing this). I did think that Alex may actually be one of my flawed heroes, Hank Hill (seller of propane and propane accessories). [p]To the question of what was on the SB table over here in the "containment area", first, I say congratulation on knowing what my town stands for! I'm not one of those being contained as I one of the few remaining native Southerners in the area; second, tonight looks like baby back ribs (another discussion altogether), smoked stuffed poblano peppers, grilled stuffed mushroom caps, mixed veggies and cold adult beverages. How about you?[p]Again, for all those who were offended by my post defending poor old Alex ... oops![p]Have a great week.

• Celtic Wolf
    FatDog,[p] I wasn't offended. I just wanted to point out the potential Trollish behavior.[p] If you look at my profile you'll see why I know the tongue in cheek definition of Cary, NC :)[p] I am about to do a tri-Tip, and some dutch oven corn bread. The Rooster Ruler wants a Sweet Tater Pie, so I will be baking sweet taters too.